I'll start by saying that I'm a 14-year-old male, currently on Day 11 of recovering from my tonsillectomy (and adenoidectomy). I'll pretty much just summarize my recover and give you guys a few tips at the end.

DAY 1 (Surgery Day): So basically you'll go into your surgery center for your ENT. There are a lot of babies and little kids, since they get ear infections and such. Some of them even had the same operation as me. Think of your operation and recovery this way: If a two-year-old can do it, I can. It's true. I had to wait two hours, then it was my turn. They gave me a shot of something to numb my arm, and then slid an IV into it. They took me into surgery. I was pretty relaxed because the doctors were talking about casual things, and I knew that they were doing seven other surgeries that day. They gave me an oxygen mask and told me when the anesthesia was coming. I was asleep in about 10 seconds. When I woke up, I was shivering and twitching a little bit. The nurse said it was a side effect of anesthesia. Anyway, when you wake up, it doesn't hurt because you're still under anesthesia. Do not let this fool you. Enjoy your state of painlessness while it lasts. I was given Hydrocodone and I was allowed to take 2 tablespoons every four hours. 

DAY 2: I woke up and I was a bit sore. Nothing that bad though. I still couldn't eat much besides pudding and Jell-O. It's a good idea to distract yourself from the pain. I played video games, watched Netflix, etc. 

DAY 3: My throat hurt pretty bad. The Hydrocodone did not make the pain vanish completely. It just felt like a mild sore throat. It hurt to talk and swallow. My meds only helped for the first hour and a half. Then, I was on my own. 

DAY 4: Same as day 3, but worse. For me, the pain was the worst when I woke up. It wasn't so bad waking up in the middle of the night to drink water and take more meds - like it hurt, just not as bad as waking up in the morning.

DAY 5: The pain was steadily increasing. I stopped having protein shakes for breakfast. I wouldn't advise ice cream, milkshakes, anything dairy. It created mucus in my throat and it was difficult to swallow.

DAY 6: Day 6, for me, was the worst day. My pain meds didn't seem to do anything and the pain was worse than ever before. I could hardly eat. I still drank the recommended water amount, though.

DAY 7: It was slightly better than Day 6. SLIGHTLY. It was still pretty painful. The reason Days 5, 6, and 7 were so bad was because the scabs were forming. The scabs are great, because once they form, you can eat a larger variety of food, but they stink crazy bad. My breath was far worse than ever before in my life and it still is. 

DAY 8: I was excited because my pain level was pretty low this day - about a 3/10. I managed to swallow some scrambled eggs and a lightly toasted English muffin.

DAY 9: Again, the pain was better. I could almost eat anything I wanted to.

DAY 10: The pain was virtually non-existent. I had cereal for breakfast and it was easy. 

DAY 11 (Today): It's around 10 in the morning. I can eat anything I want besides things with sharp edges like chips (my doctor doesn't want me to). I'm sneezing from time to time. My scabs are partly gone - I can see spots of pink tissue poking out. The scabs still stink crazy bad, though. It doesn't hurt to talk, but I still don't because my breath is so terrible. When I sneeze, the whole area suddenly gets this nasty stench. It's pretty bad and I have been chewing gum to hide it. I have to go to school tomorrow, so I'm just bringing a pack of gum to go all day. I haven't bled (yet) or lost my sense of taste like a lot of people have. I've been eating toast in hope of scraping off the remaining scabs. It's helping a little bit, but not significantly.

TIPS: I really wish I would've known this before, so if you have a tonsillectomy soon or are still recovering, note these tips:

1.) Water. Everyone says this, because it's important. Your doctor should've given you a paper telling you how much water you need. MAKE SURE you get your daily dose. This will help the pain go away sooner. 

2.) Don't spit out anything, even mucus. The more you swallow, the faster the pain leaves.

3.) Don't eat dairy. It creates mucus, which is hard to swallow.

4.) Be sure to take your meds even at night, and if you need to, take them with nausea pills. I never threw up, thankfully. Always take your meds with water, and if you can, food.

5.) Start to experiment with different foods ASAP. Jell-O and pudding gets old fast, and also its good for your body to eat regular food.

6.) I didn't have ear pain, but if you do, use heated blankets of a hot water bottle and hold it up to your ear(s).

7.) This sounds weird, but I had SEVERE tongue pain - on the sides. I still don't know why - maybe the doctor burned them when he was cauterizing the tonsil cavities. Anyway, if you have this, try to sleep on your back. This helps for some reason.

8.) Don't freak out if you snore. After my surgery, I snored so loud that I would have dreams of motorcycles, haha. It has gone away now.

9.) Finally, realize that you have 9 pain-filled days of your life, but it's worth it. No tonsil stones, no strep throat, no tonsillitis, no more sore throats. I may have gotten better faster than some people, but that's because I didn't spit out my mucus like a wimp. I sucked it up and swallowed it. The pain left faster, and now, 10 days later, the only thing I have to worry about is bad breath. Thanks for reading, and good luck!

Hi boy,  your experience is pretty much similar to all other experiences after tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Sometimes, this recovery can go really fast while in some cases a lot of adenoidectomy side effects make this recovery process much harder. I remember that for the first three days after my surgery I hated the whole world because I was in such a huge pain, I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep because of the pain. When the fourth day came, I felt better, medicines started to work and I was in less pain, but still, I haven't eaten a lot of things. But as the days were passing by I could saw that the recovery is going in the proper direction. My message to everyone is to be patient - that is a key to successful recovery. 

I just had mine done yesterday morning I can't talk open. my mouth drinking or eating ice popsicles or ice cream or anything because of the pain I feel. My mom keeps yelling at me but its not my fault I've been up all night and whenever I did sleep during the day she would wake me up she literally sat there trying to pour water in my mouth ot really hurts and I don't think she understands I regret having it done but at the time it hurt and my tonsils didn't bother me at all for about a month now I'm in more pain than ever my doctor prescribed liquid Tylenol with codeine for pain but it does absolutely nothing. After burger I was completely fine for about 2 hours then the numbing meds I got through my iv wore off and it hurt like a bit*h and my iv was horrible the biggest needle stabbing into my being and they kept moving it around and then the burning sensation in my private are from other meds they gave me I was in complete Hell being tortured I'd either die than go through that ever again also my throat is starting close up and I can't breathe anymore it hurts to much solid advise you unless you are in major pain DO NOT! let anybody come at you with a knife making you open your mouth so they can nearly but your head off worst experience of my life and worst they thinkin going back there all I gotta day is FU*K YOU DOCTORS!!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

I just had the same surgery one month ago. I am 44 and let me to tell you it was horrible for me.. I have demerol for my pain.. Day 6 and 7 were my worst. When I went outside the pain went into my ears and I hated the fact I couldnt eat my favorite foods. I still have a bad taste of metal in my mouth.. I still choke on meats that I cant eat.. I had alot of hot water on my throat verses popsicles and pudding for I couldnt swallow the pudding. I am still hurting sometimes bad in my ears when I go out in the cold.. I dont like certain foods now because I cant taste them.. I also have stomach issues now from all the dam demerol. So I am still losing weight and that is a good thing.. BUt as far as getting this done. It is the worst thing I had ever done. But soon I will be back to normal.. MY throat has an aweful smell to it! YUCK

As the pain gets worse, keep increasing the dosage of your pain medicine. I was prescribed hydrocodone, tetracaine, and children's ibuprofen which seemed to work the best. Especially the tetracaine. If you do not use this medicine you need to ask your doctor for it right away because it is a numbing agent that targets the wounds directly and instantly soothes. On the plus side too, it gets you higher than a kite. Ask for it, because it helps a lot and if the pain in the morning is unbearable it comes in a lollipop form to avoid painful swallowing. Immediately apply ice pack right after for better results. Hope this helped.

Hey everyone! I read this blog and topic up until I had surgery this past Friday, and I must admit, I see a common thread of connectivity: Stay hydrated & you'll have minimal pain. I agree. So far, the nasal washes, hydrocodone, Percocet, and compound med my doctor prescribed is helping me maintain. I keep with the sinus washes and I haven't blown my nose (I also had a deviated Septum, and had my adenoids removed).. Today is day 3 so I don't know what the future holds but I can honestly say I'm recovering well. I haven't eaten anything yet (just drinking water and apple juice) but ill try eating around day 10 or so.. I will say this: stay AHEAD of the pain. My first day after surgery, although I was okay after surgery, I waited too long to take my first dose of meds and I screamed to the top of my lungs in PAIN! Whew Jesus! Please stay ahead of the pain. Also: Buy all your water, jello, Popsicles before surgery. Make sure you're house is setup to be comfortable after surgery. Lastly, I'm 33...if that makes a difference.

edge much? I cant even read your comment because of how bad you write.