Hi everyone I'm 23 and on day 4 of my recovery. I had both my tonsils and my adenoids removed just for clarification :-). I'm just going to give a little bit of insight into how I've been feeling and what I've been doing and I'm hoping someone will give me some other tips that might help with the pain. So, the first two days were actually pretty smooth, it's been the last two that have been HORRIBLE. Last night I woke up at 3am crying from being in so much pain (that has been the worst so far) and I HAVE to take my meds right at four hours every four hours because the pain is ridiculous. I'm staying hydrated, chewing ice and eating ice cream to keep everything numb, but I get nauseous when I walk around too much. I can eat soups no problem, and I tried eating mac and cheese and mashed potatoes last night but it didn't go so well (I'm thinking might have been too soon for soft foods???). I can't eat pudding, jello, or really thick soups just yet (all too thick to swallow). I've done the gum chewing thing, and used an ice pack on my neck, but my jaw, ears and neck are REALLY sore. I can't suck on Popsicles but I can eat those ice pops. I can talk a LITTLE but it's getting harder and harder so I've resorted to a small dry erase board. I was just wondering 1) was everyone else pretty much on this same track on day four? Did you have trouble shaking your head or rotating it or anything like that? 2) Did your pain seem to get worse before it got better? and 3) is there any other useful tips you may have to lessen the pain so I can eat more?! I miss food SOOOO MUCH. Soup is getting old so quick!! 4) What can I expect the next week or so!! I gotta say that on the day of surgery and day two I thought "pfft. No prob. I can totally handle this" but now I'm starting to see this is a lot harder than I thought it would be and I'm a little sad. Anyone else feel this discouraged?

You are already doing better than I am on day 12. I still can hardly get soup down and I'm having trouble drinking the water that I need to be drinking. Most days I eat nothing, if anything at all I might get a half cup of soup down. I'm unable to tolerate the pain that even eating ice cream causes.

I guess don't rush the eating thing. I am starving believe me. It has been a great diet!! 15 pounds down since surgery and I had lost 15 in the month I was not feeling well before the surgery.

I'm sure they told you around day 7 things would get worse after getting better. It's true. At least for me it was. Good luck. I'm 23 as well so I hope things go better for you than they are for me.

i am 24 and on day 5 of recovery. i have never been in this much pain in my entire life. i am having a really hard time staying hydrated because i still can barely swallow my own spit. on day 2 and 3 i was so sick i kept throwing up and really hurt my throat. i am taking liuid lortab and it tastes horrible. (alot like cheap voldka) the taste alone could make me throw up. now the doctor gave me some anti nasia medicine that i have to put up my butt. o.O (i am totally serious) it burns really bad and makes me even more miserable. i have already lost almost ten pounds, which in any other cercomstance would be a bonus but it has not been worth the pain. i also have not been able to have a bowel movement since the surgery which is causing alot of stomach pain by itself, not to mention all the pain medicine that i have taken on an empty stomach. anyway, i need to find out if i can eat ice cream now or not. some people say yes and some people say no, does antone know for sure.

I am posting a lot tonight but this medicine has me hopped up like crazy! I am on day 13 and am still having a lot of issues however I think I am doing really well overall. I would not suggest iceream as it sometimes creates more phlegm in your throat. I, myself am having too much plegm as it is. But I have seen a lot of people on here say sherbert is better. I am not taking any chances. Days 5-8 were the roughest days but it slowly has gotten better. These scabs are just very aggravating to me right now. Hopefully they will start to fall off SOON! Best of luck to you all of you.

I am on day 6 right now and for the most part I can eat mashed potatoes...jello....pudding..yogurt....popsicles and soup broth. It is very painful though I have been on pain medicine for like 48hrs straight...which isnt fun at all. The nice thing is I did lose 5lbs but im just glad my tonsils are out, I have been battling with them since October of last year when I got chronic tonsilitis from Mono. I hope everything gets better for everyone. Best of luck!

Is theer anyone else who went into pain attack mode about 2:00AM and then found these forum. I was thinking everything was going wrong and I needed to get to the emergency room each night. Then I would come and read what other people went through. I could calm down at that point. Day 10 and starting the removal of pain medications from my life. They do not want to go but I need to push them out!

Oh MS, I feel for you. It has been about 5 weeks since my surgery but I remember well exactly where you are. Is there any way you can wait about 4 more days to stop your pain meds? I couldn't believe the difference I felt in days 13 and 14! On day 13 I was so frustrated. I said I know I am not going to magically feel better tomorrow on day 14! Well guess what? I did! Everyone is different but that was my experience. Maybe just gradually slow down over the next few days but I needed it until the end. My throat still feels a little funny but it doesn't hurt. Please be encouraged , it is almost over.

Thanks, right now I am going to stay at 3 a day for a couple of days.

It reminded me it is not healed today when I got really sore in the throat reading to the kids. I plan to be back at work in 5 days and will work toward the removal of pain meds then.

Hi all! I was wondering if there is anything that can be done for residual pain after the tonsillectomy surgery? I had my tonsils out 5 days ago (it feels like so much longer) and the cocodamol 30/500mg is just not working; have just woken up screaming... I'm also on Diclophenac 50mg, and now penicillin. Pain killers are not doing much good! I also have a post-op infection which doesn't help. The first two days were fine, but since day three it's been agony! I'm just trying to breathe deep through it, but does anyone have any advice at all? My doc says there's nothing more for the pain other than morphine and they won't give me that. Thanks!! Oh, I'm 24.

Hi Everyone!

I have been looking at these forums the past few days, I have been in to much pain to comment. But thought I would let people know about my experience thus far, these message boards have been a great deal of support for me. I am 23 years old female, got my tonsils removed 12/10.

Woke up from surgery in no pain at all. THe recovery room made me eat, pee, and drink then I went home.

The pain started that night, I felt like I was going to die, I never imagined it would be so painful. I was only able to get down water and roxicet for the first 4 days. The Roxicet killls my stomach, and makes me feel very drunk and angry, I am suprised I still have a husband around :-) Ice makes everything better, for me at least. The bright side is that I have lost 16 pounds so far, I was hoping to lose 5, but 16 is a little excessive. I am sure as soon as I start eating I will gain it all back.

Day 2 I layed on the couch and wished for death, my ears, jaw and throat felt like I was being stabbed. I was taking Roxicet every 2 1/2 hours, I hate that taste more than anything in the world. Also my breath is horrible and I have a horrible taste in my mouth.

Day 3 I started spitting up some scabs, I was worried but I guess that is normal, I was still only able to have water and roxicet. I tried mashed potatoes and that was impossible. I tried chicken broth and it was to salty. So basically I was starving myself at this point.

Day 4 I have begun to realize that I am so tired due to lack of calories, my crazy mother in law said she was going to make me "Jook". I told her I can't eat but she went ahead and made it. My husband brought it home and told me to try it. Success, something in this soothes my throat in a way that nothing else has. I believe that the ingredients are boiled rice, pork, root veggies, and other unnamable ingredients. I am only able to eat the mooshy rice and broth part, but it coats my throat in a really soothing way.

Day 5 I woke up only needed the Roxicet a few times. I am at the end of day 5 now and I feel like gagging due to the scabs hanging in my throat, its really disgusting. I have no pain on my left side and it is free of redness, pain, and the white scabs, but my right side is still pretty bad. I called the doctor who was very very rude and told me that during surgery I had a lot of bleeding on the right side during surgery (nice if he had told me that right after) and he probably over cauterized. He said I might have a clot and if I bleed go to the ER, what a jerk.

My main tips are cold fluids, all that you can stand, it makes the recover easier and less painful. Try JOOK, my mother in law is chinese so she made it, but I am sure you can find it at a "real" chinese food restaurant. Happy recovery to everyone, you will get through it! Yesterday I was so discouraged, but I keep thinking that this pain is only temporary but the constant tonsillitis and strep was ruining my life.

Your post have been helpful but just wondering when all this is going to get better like i said I'm 31 year old male on day 5 still have a solid white throat and it hurts mostly in the morning when are the scabs going to fall? I can eat some food but get tired real easy everything has to be blended soup and all. Not sure if I made the right choice!? My doctor thinks my toncils were making me sick all over my body chest and stomach too, but not sure just want it to all be over anyone going thru the same thing feel free to contact me at _[removed]_ I cant talk but can type. My wife and kids have had about enough of this. No one including doctors will tell me what should be happening to me I just want to be better>

I am 20 and had my tonsils and adenoids removed 6 days ago. At the same time of this procedure I also had a labiaplasty. (On the upside: I have not thought about the pain from the labiaplasty ONCE) My doctor warned me going in that this would be a difficult surgery...but I had NO clue the extent of the pain I would experience! Here's a break down of what I've gone through so far:

Day 1: coming out of surgery I felt good. i drank like 4 sprites and joked with the nurses and talked fairly normally. as soon as i got home, however, I began coughing up LARGE amounts of blood and soon began feeling awful.

Day 2: lots of throat and neck pain, pain in ears. able to speak in a whisper. moved around a bit. over all felt pretty decent but not able to eat and barely able to drink

Day 3-4: HELL! I cried more than I didnt these days. Still no food. I threw up several times which made the pain so much worse. The pain pills did not EVEN begin to touch the pain. (discontinued pain meds on day 4 because we believed them to be the cause of the vomiting)

Day 5: Still miserable and VEERY weak after not eating for 4 days. My parents talked to doctors who said that I HAD to be eating and drinking or i was going to end up in the hospital and began force feeding me. As much as it hurt to eat and drink. It definitely made me feel better. I was also able to start taking the oxycodone again with out getting sick.

Day 6: today...I still hurt. a lot. i can definitely see improvement...but im just still soooo far away from being back to normal. I have eaten a little and am making myself drink as much as i can stand. i cant speak at all. i have started coughing up blood clots and scabs. its disgusting. christmas is 2 days away. I am praying that i will be well enough to enjoy it. I have pretty much given up any hope of enjoying a normal christmas dinner :-(

anyway...there ya go...

I just had my tonsillectomy this morning. I've been drinking water, apple juice and some applesauce. Feel really hungry but on the dietary instructions say drink water, milk, ice cream on the first day. I don't know if I can eat some pudding or jello or not.

dont want to scare u but I'm on day seven this is the first day that I cant speak this whole thing just gets worse I dont know if this gets better or not but they say it does I still have scabs and they hurt I did eat plenty of pudding and stuff at first I say eat what you can now because it only gets worse how old are u? I'm sure right now you think its not that bad but prepare yourself! I am not one of those people trying to make it worse but it DOES GET WORSE save your pain med I cant even swallow mine today wish this was all over.feel free to contact me if you want _[removed]_ I'm doing nothing but watching tv I think I've seen every movie there is in the last 7 days.

Go to http://www.professionalarts.com/AboutUs.asp contact them in the morning I just got a sucker from a friend of mine it numbs your entire mouth and throat makes you pain FREE not sure what to call them but the package says TETRACAINE 4% LOLLIPOP all you do is rub it on what hurts and the pain goes away you can eat and everything cant even feel ice in my mouth this is the best thing I've ever seen. Good Luck!!!!