I just had my tonsils and adenoids removed on the 8th due to OSA, so I am now on Day 3. My pain is not too severe, except when I wake up after sleeping a few hours without the codine. But for the most part, I'm talking more normally today and am experiencing less pain when swallowing. I've been spitting to avoid swallowing the past couple of days, which I've found very helpful. I was wondering why I have a lot of phlegm building up though? I'm hesitant to cough, but sometimes I can't help it, as the phlegm is rattling around in my chest. Is this considered normal? Also, when can I expect the scabs to fall off and will that be painful or cause bleeding??

I'm three months post op now and I have to say that for me, the worst part of recovery, even worse than the pain, was losing the scabs. But then, I have a high pain tolerance and had no real complications other than taste loss, which I still have. (This being worse than anyone can even imagine.) As far as the initial recovery, though, I think drinking as MUCH water as you can is SO important. I couldn't swallow for the first week and a half, so I pretty much took very very small sips, tilted my head back, and let it slide down. But the falling off scabs are just SO disgusting that it was way more traumatic for me than the pain. I can deal with pain much better than grossness! They would fall off halfway and be hanging down, touching the back of my throat, making me gag and of course you can't pull them off before they're ready, so it was HORRIBLE. I was so scared to swallow them, as I knew I'd puke if I did, and I was so scared of them falling off and sitting there on my tonue, which would be even worse, so I didn't know WHAT I'd do! I ended up waiting till they were JUST about off, got a tiny little baby spoon, put a mirror in the sink, opened my mouth, looked down, and spooned them out and they thankfully plopped into the sink without ever touching my tongue or having to swallow them. What a relief! But, oh, what a bad day. And the scabs do re-form, but very thinly, so it's not bad.

that does sound gross!! hopefully these scabs will fall off quickly and painlessly.. i'm also having such a hard time drinking water or anything really. i know i'm supposed to drink 8-10 glasses of water, but i can barely finish one! i'm hoping that all the soups i'm drinking help to keep me hydrated. what are some of the signs of dehydration? also, do you remember when you were able to eat regularly again? didn't get a chance to ask the doctor these questions after surgery because it was too painful to talk... you're a great help!

I laughed at the paper that the doctor gave me, explaining what to eat and when. It said on the second day I could eat mashed potatoes and other mushy foods. I couldn't eat ANYTHING slightly solid for about one and a half weeks. I lived off of Slim Fast because it's filling and full of nutrients and completely liquid. You should get yourself some kind of drink like that. It will also keep you hydrated, which I think is even more important than eating solids. Good luck!!

By the way, I was on Vicodin for a full two weeks. After that, I could eat just about anything but spicy stuff would burn my throat since it was still pretty raw and I'd have to wash every bite down with water. It took a full three weeks before I would say I felt pretty much back to normal. And as far as signs of dehydration, I don't really know, but I know it's very important to keep your throat wet because the scabs will heal better. I had no bleeding or anything and I really think it's because I was adamant about drinking. Do you notice that things are tasting ok? I know you're not eating much, but what you have tasted, are they normal??? My taste has completely been off since surgery, especially sweets. It's horrible!

I had my tonsilectomy on Thursday. Woke up and spent the day in hospital , still not as bad as I was expecting. I was on IV and sips of water and giingerale, popsicles. I stayed over night in hospital and my sleep was unbearable , the next day and every day till today being a week has been a little worse each day. I sit here crying in pain, I take percocet for pain, haven't pooped in a week and still can only tolerate the same water,popsicles and giingerale.The ear pain that comes suddenly is severe ,intense and i cannot believe this is the only thing society has come up with for dealing with tonsillectomy. I visited my doctor today , it was a brief visit, same info. He tells me all this is to be expected.Well I would like better pain control and I would feel alot better if I was appropriatley hydrated. This is like torture.I can't wait till this saga is over and i feel better.

:-( I'm on day five of my torture the back of my thoat is light brown were my golf balls used to be and my uvala is 3 times the normal size! perkicet works i think it put me to sleep. eveything i eat or drink tastes like metal!! my ears ache and i spit alot. I'm 27 so i guess this is what to expect when you wait to long to get your tonsils removed. my medicine is almost gone with no refills i hope the pain stops before the drugs do!

I'm supposed to get my tonsils out soon cause for years now they get food stuck inside of them. It smells and it's gross. They are like dirty little sponges and I want them out, but after reading all of this, I'm kind of nervous! If you could do it all over again, would you still have done it? I don't know how old you are, but I'm 24. I've had a baby though. It can't be as bad as that! =)

I am 35 and supposed to get them out. After reading all this I never am. They will have to bury me with them when I eventually choke on these giant things!!!

I am on day 6 of my tonsillectomy. My doctor put me on liquid oxycodone for the first week which did wonders for my pain. I really felt nothing while I was on it. For week 2 she put me on vicodin which hasn't been working as well. My uvula also is way swollen, breathing feels a lot different to me as well because my throat is so swollen. It is getting harder to swallow and I'm starting to notice the pain more. It's not bad though, just nagging.

Things do taste different to me. For the past 6 days though I've been drinking Slim Fast, Ensure and eating a lot of popsicles. I haven't ventured out to solid foods yet. I'm a little afraid.

I would recommend a tonsillectomy. I am 22 and so far have not had any horrible things happen. I've been drinking 3-4 liters of water per day which I think has helped a lot.

Good luck everyone

I am 33 years old and this is day 7 after getting my tosils out. I still cannot taste anything, especially sweets. Has anyone lost their sense of taste and regained it??

I am 40 yrs old and had a tonsillectomy 5 days ago. I read these messages before I went in and I have to admit, they freaked me out a little.

So, I wanted to post a positive experience, maybe people are more driven to talk about their post operative status online if it is negative. Perhaps other people who had "easy" tonsillectomies are too busy with work and fun to post their experiences.. ....while those of you with negative experiences are miserable and stuck at home :'(.

Anway, yes, I have some throat pain, and yes it is difficult to drink and eat. BUT, it isn't all that bad, I have a sore throat, but without the ususal sickness that accompanies sore throats (cold and/or flu symptoms). I started eating Ramen noodles at day 2 and am back at work today (day 5). I probably would have come to work sooner, but today is a Monday.

I am taking the pain meds regularly (LORTAB) and can definitely tell when it is time for another dose. I have been forcing myself to drink as much water as possible, even though it hurts a little going down, I know that staying hydrated will decrease the pain in the long run.

Also, day 3 was the worst and it has been getting noticably less painful every day.

So, all of you who are reading this before a scheduled surgery, perhaps you will be lucky and it won't be so bad.

i also wanted to add my positive response... i'm the one who wrote the original post to this thread. i was also 24 when i had the surg (turned 25 last month), and yes, all the horror stories freaked me out. But all in all, it wasn't such a bad experience. By day 7, i was eating thicker foods like "cream of" soups and mashed potatoes, and by day 10, i definitely was eating normally. Didn't experience any taste loss, but I sure did have some bad pain in the mornings for about the first week and a half. After about ten minutes of sitting there staring at the wall and letting the pain killers sink in, I was fine for the rest of the day. But I must say, the pain killers were my best friend at the time! Also, my major fear was dehydration because I couldn't stand swallowing anything for several days. I would take tiny little sips throughout the day (probably only finishing one bottle of water a day). But at my one week appointment, the doctor surprisingly said I was well-hydrated and it was normal to have a hard time drinking liquids. I also was fortunate to not have to feel the scabs coming out or anything gross like that. I think the only thing I felt for a couple of days was like something small was stuck at the back of my throat... but nothing unbearable. Oh, and also, obviously because you're not eating and drinking normally, don't expect to poop. ;-) Good luck to all!!

On May 14th, 2007 I underwent a uvulopalatopharyngoplasty which included a tonsillectomy. The Doctor and his staff told me to expect a lot of pain. The posts here weren't all that positive either. I decided to go through with it and can honestly say that the pain is not all that bad. My doctor told me that it would get worse for the first few days as each day passed. So far I have only increased my dosage of Hydrocodone Bitartrate Acetaminophen Oral Solution from one teaspoon to one and a half teaspoons or 7ml every five hours.

Swallowing is difficult but not so difficult that I can't get down several large glasses of water in a day. I'm very hungry and would probably try to eat something solid if I hadn't promised my doctor in front of my girlfriend that I would stick with the liquid diet for the first week.

I wish everyone that has to go through this, go through it with the least amount of pain and discomfort & the most amount of success!

Guest wrote:

Good luck everyone

I am 21 and am on day 8 post-op. Just want to offer another less than horrific story to maybe encourage someone out there: I'm in a lot of pain, but it's been managable with the Lortab and Advil. I've been obsessed with staying hydrated and I think it's really helping to keep the pain tolerable. I'm not saying I barely feel it or anything - but I've experienced a lot worse.

I had so many chronic problems with my tonsils, I think this will definitely be worth it in the end. I'm excited to think that maybe I won't be sick every three weeks now!! yay!

Hang in there, guys! It won't last forever. :) And DRINK YOUR WATER!

edit: Guess I should also mention that I haven't had much success with solid food since the surgery - that's the biggest downside. It's mostly just broths and popsicles for me, with the occasional soup (oh, wild) when I feel good. It's annoying, but hey, at least my pants will fit better. I am fantasizing about chinese food 24/7.