Users comments and reviews on article Tonsillitis, Tonsillectomy, Adenoidectomy and possible side effects by MariAnne

The article was great as i prepare for my 2 yr old son's adenoidectomy. I feel relaxed already, thanks to the information on the subject
Smile

WOW!!!!!!! THAT IS A GREAT ARTICLE. WISH I HAD READ IT BEFORE MY 3 YR OLD SON HAS HIS SURGERY ON APRIL 5th, 2007.

I just got my tonsils removed. On the first day my throat burns. My tongue and neck are swollen. I can't speak. I can barely drink water, but it's essential to drink water or the pain will increase. I'm eating ice chips and crushed ice, popsicles and sherbet. Day two I'm in so much pain I can't even sleep so once again I turn to ice. Day three I attempt to eat a potatao and it didn't work for me at all. I tried ice cream big mistake dairy cause phelgm and it's very hard to cough up. I then try ramen noodles. I can tolerate those but it still hurts going down but no as much as the potatoes. Skipping to day six I had to go to ER because my ears were hurting come to find out ear infections in both ears. Keep in mind that you can't take any other nedicine until you ask your doctor, which he told me the infection will go away on its on. It was simply drainge from my aneonoids going to my ears. But I have gotten to the worst pain yet. The worst pain comes when the scabs peel which is why water is very important. The dryer the scab the more pain you will endure if it's moist you will not hurt as bad. Bottom line whoever says removing your tonsils isn't that bad is lying. It's important to take your meds on time even if you arent hurting, keep the ice pack on your neck, and drink plenty of water.

Its like hitting 4 birds with 1 stone. I had it all done at once a month ago. It was a little scary at first but all the staff in the hospital were so accommodating and friendly that I was able to relax easily. Plus, with a trusted specialist! I was under gen. anesthesia the whole procedure, and after less than 3 hours, the operation was over. I slept throughout the day and around late in the afternoon of the same day, I was able to go home. As for the recovery period, my throat pain was minimal, I was taking pain killers 3x a day so I guess it helped a lot. I was "nose" bleeding for a couple of weeks but it ceased by the 3rd week. I was also able to get back to work by that time. I was drinking lots of iced cold water with a straw. Though, I couldn't swallow properly so soft diet is really needed. Also, as ordered by my Dr., I gargled w/ half cup of hydrogen peroxide and H2O at least 6x a day for 3 weeks. I haven`t seen that mentioned here w/ all the posts I`ve read. I am also using FLO Sinus Care 2x a day to help cleanse mucus and dry blood from my nose and sinuses. It's a lot of work but I would like to think that I am getting better by the day. Even my husband said that I'm not snoring anymore, and my grinding of the teeth lessened (it was worse before!!). Although, I still have that "lumpy" feeling in my throat, and I still couldn't taste properly, I am getting there. I have no regrets. And its a big plus if you get help with a specialist.

STEP BY STEP ;
I would like to help people having the surgery or going thru this surgery so they know EXACTLY what to expect.

* BEFORE THE SURGERY
The nurses will guide you to a room which is FILLED with people waiting for their surgery. I found it quite comforting knowing others were going threw what i was going threw, instead of putting me in a room by myself , freaking myself out. You sit it a recliner and the friendly nurse will put in an IV which feels like a mosquito bite, and doctors come and ask you some simple questions. When the doctors are done questioning a friendly nurse will lead you to the surgery room. I was QUITE nervous this being my first surgery so i told the nurse and she QUICKLY comforted me. I'm not going to lie , the surgery room kinda freaked me out abit lol , blue room , masks doctors grabbing at things quickly. But they made me realize this would all be over in a blink of an eye.

* WAKING UP
Waking up from the surgery i didn't feel much pain it must have been all the drugs. I remember feeling VERY confused when i woke up , like is this a dream? where am i ? . But within a few seconds i wasn't confused. After a few minutes the nurse wheeled me off to my room which i shared with an older lady. The pain was bearable as long as my pain killer intake was high. After a few hours i tried not using any drugs because i don't like drugs in my body for many reasons. But that was a BAD idea! lol .. SO i asked for some drugs. i was worried about using the painkillers because when my mother had surgery she was given the same drug which made her violently ill and was vomiting non-stop. so i thought.. if i vomit in this condition AHH! But the pain was getting pretty bad so i took the meds. I stayed overnight in the hospital because i have sleep apnia.

* AT HOME
The next day after surgery it was pretty painfull. BUT ITS BEARABLE PAIN. Everyone on these sites make it sound like they were gunna die , but its not like that. but yes , it was painfull? all surgerys are painfull. AS LONG AS YOU TAKE YOUR T-3's *** EXACTLY*** within the hours ur supose to take them or your pain will be bad. Also... this is very important , even tho people advise you to drink lots of liquids and eat things like soups etc...
****** DO NOT DO THAT, dont even swallow your own spit. Really , the pain is SOOO much more less and all that swallowing and such irritates the throat. so just listen to this.. do not drink or eat anything. !!!!!!!!

I had my tonsils out about a week ago and I can honestly say it was worse than giving birth.
I was so unprepared for the pain, the constant pain, which actually gets worse after the first week and is so much worse when you wake up in the morning.
Was looking forward to two weeks off work but would have rather been there than stuck in bed feeling like I had a razor blade wedged in my throat.
Also still have terrible earache and stomach cramps from either the drugs or lack of food.
I think its different for everyone though and the operation was fine...thanks to the morphine.
Starting to feel better now though, just hoping the procedure will cure me of my constant throat infections.
Ice packs, regular soluble paracetomol and manuka honey helped me...drinking water not good but essential!

I'm a mother of a 4 year old who's had problems eating, breathing & speaking for the past 6 months. It's gotten to the point where he's choking so many times on simple foods that he's never had issues with before that I'm running to him every time he is quiet.
I've taken him to see 3 different pediatricians on 5 visits - all with different diagnoses saying it was "mono" or strep although he tested negative for both & never responded to any injections or medicines they put him on. Because my son kept gaining weight, the pediatricians were not worried. However, he can only eat applesauce & overcooked mac & cheese (not the healthy diet he's been used to) so I see a definite issue if this is prolonged.
A friend recommended a specialist (Ear Nose & Throat especially for kids) & after taking him there, I was just informed today that he has extremely enlarged tonsils & adenoids. I read up on this - researched all over the Internet & have found this article tremendously helpful. Thank you for laying it out in "simple" terms that I, as a non-doctor, can understand. I will take your advice on spending lots of time with him to relieve his fears and despite the cons the surgery may pose, I do believe it will serve him better to have his tonsils removed.
I highly recommend this article and the comments on this board for any patient or parent of a prospect patient to understand the procedures and issues before & after.
Thank you!

MariAnne wrote:

Users comments and reviews on article <a href="https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/article.php?mode=view&hpr=Tonsillitis__Tonsillectomy__Adenoidectomy_and_possible_side_effects&article_id=5&forum_id3">Tonsillitis, Tonsillectomy, Adenoidectomy and possible side effects</a> by MariAnne

i am 23 years old when i was nine i had my adenoids removed. my tonsils are extremely swollen now. and ive began to experience pains all over my body mainly my upper part it started off with my shoulders and now my hands and when it cold my feet and knees. could these be due to my swollen tonsils and will they have to be removed. i was prescribed amoxicillion a couple months ago and they went down a little but are now swollen and have little white materials around them. i also keep gettin a risen piece of skin behind my wisdom tooth.

Are pus pockets on the back of the throat normal after having the tonsils removed?

they dont tell you everything you know..sometimes they dont swallow post op and you end up in the emergency room with a dehydrated child on a IV line...it was the worst thing ever and left me heartbroken.
it was medically necessary but dont think about it if its not...

I don't know if I would have this done for my daughter again. She was 11, had recurrent bouts with tonsilitis and I was worried she would miss more school and fall behind. HOWEVER, the same thing happened to her, she wouldn't drink, got dehydrated, began to bleed and throw up blood. We had three IVs, a transfusion and ice packs on the throat. Now she is 20, in college, has asthma, and is struggling with recurrent upper respiratory infections. I pushed for this when she was little and now I'm really second guessing. If she could have fought it off when she was younger, I'm wondering if she might be much healthier now. Just one mother's perspective. Do research and don't make this decision lightly!!

My 4 year old daughter has had recurrent sinusitis(constant a runny nose with awhite discharge or sometimes yellow ) and doctor said she has to have adenoidectomy/tonsillectomy but i am afraid that it doesnot cure her problem and she suffer further complications by having this surgery

Hello im 16 years old i had my toncills out when i was 15 and it was the worst pain ever i carnt put it to words how pailfull it was i though i was going to die. The first days was pailfull but bearable but as the week goes on its gets worse and worse. Its does get worse before it gets better. The only thing that work to get beeter quickly is to try and be sick to get all that flemmy stuff of from the back of your throat as soon as i did that i felt lots better i could eat food at last. The main tip is to drink iced water to sooth your throat.

I'm very pleased , I have the chance to read this before taking a decion for my 5 and 6 years old boys. I 'm so afraid about Post-Op effects and side effetcs that I don't know if I will let them have the surgery. The article gave me a very good inforamtion, but still I'm not too sure about what to do. My question is to know if tehreis any side effects later in tehir life, when they'ill grew up. Anything related to the fact that they dont have their tonsills anymore ?