I had a tooth, upper right, 4th from back (not a molar) extracted.  (root canal went bad).   Ever since I have this mucous taste - gritty, slimy "draining " in my mouth.  It actually stings my tongue, and makes like a bubbly crackling "noise" inside my mouth.  I have been to Mayo, 7 dentists, 3 oral surgeons, periodontist, endonodist, and all say "atypical nerve damage"/trigemial nerve damage...but I am taking nerve pain meds, and this foul taste/drainage/stinging continues.  It makes my lips sting/feel numb all the time.  It dissipates when I lie down...when I stand up, it comes back.  I did have burning ears, eyes too...but that has subsided with high dose of neurotripline, but this feeling of something draining into my teeth continues ALL DAY long.  Any idea?  Right after I had surgery it felt like something was inside the extraction site, so I had ENT CT scan to look for sinus perforation - it was NEG.   I have had brain MRI, and bone disease MRI - all neg.  Blood work neg too.   IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I can look for with ENT that would contribute to this slimy, gritty, draining stuff in my mouth all the tiime?   there is nothing in my mouth I can Swab out and show someone.  It is very odd.  IF YOU KNOW the answer you are a genius.  NO ONE IN DENVER, mayo clinic, etc has  a clue.  Thanks.

Did you ever find out what this is? Did it go away? I have this too and no one has a clue in Palo Alto, CA either. Looking for answers.

Have you been checked for an infection in the bone?

No I haven't, but when I had the tooth extracted, they put me on antibiotics before the procedure, so not sure that would have taken care of a bone infection. They also put in a bone graft at that time in preparation for an implant. I thought the mouth sensation would go away once the tooth was extracted and healed because I thought the cause was the persistent infection caused by the tooth, but the area seems to have healed now and the mouth issues persist. I haven't had the implant yet since the oral surgeon typically waits 5 months after the extraction to perform the implant.

Do you think there could still be an infection in the bone after this chain of events?

I have the same problem had my teeth pulled to get dentures and it started. It has been about 18 months and it has spread across my upper jaw the pain is moving my face to my eyes the drainage has gotten so bad it sometimes burns my throat when I swallow. I have done everything you have and all the doctors say the same thing They can"t see anything the gums are healed so there is no place for the drainage to come from. So they say it must be a nerve problem. How can it be a nerve problem and burn your tongue and throat when you swallow. I got so tired of hearing they can't see anything that I spit into a glass for about an hour and there it was at the bottom of the glass was this c**p that looks like beach sand. I showed it to the doctors and they agree it's not a nerve problem so I am trying some very strong antibiotics again. This infection or whatever it is has become very painful and I am praying for a cure. If anything helps I will post it here

Please if ANYONE can answer this I NEED to know! That is happening with me. I have it in the entire mouth and it has made it where I can not eat. I'm at a VERY critical point almost to death. I am supposed to get more tests done. It also dries my mouth and drinking just makes it worse. I only softens when I lay down and I am fearing death. No doctor will admit me to a hospital for malnutrition and I don't think I can do the test in the morning. Actually I fear I WILL but make it through the day to get to that appointment. I fear laying down as it just softens and moves. No one will believe me and I'm at my wits end and again VERY near death. I barely have made it by drinking a few boosts and I NEED emergency help but everyone is telling me this is all in my head. I am 44 yrs old and 4'11 with muy weight now at 68 lbs. It was just my molars than spread to all my other teeth as time prohressed. I have not been able to chew and again have lost a critical amount of weight. Even my husband doesn't believe me and has told me he is ready to leave me over this. I do have panic disorder and it makes things harder for me. I am paying at the hospital in the morning that they will admit me but I'm unfair if I will make it through the rest of this day? This had been going on for over 5 months as I said unable to eat and barely able to drink. I don't think I can drink the stuff for the Swallow Test either. I have difficulty swallowing because of this do they now want that test done. SOME ONE, ANY ONE, HELP!

I have the same thing. I am having surgery in a couple of days. It is chronic Osteomyelitis, which is an infection in the bone. Much like you nobody believed me. I kept going until someone would listen. I found a doctor who did and after a lot of tests and surgery it was discovered.

I have all the same symptoms- what do they do for this -chronic Osteomyelitis????

Please help and let me know

I have this same problem. Praying it can be fixed. So upsetting.

New Member
1 post
Did you get it fixed? I know this is an old thread. I’m having the same problem:( hoping my oral surgeon will find a diagnosis ASAP!

New Hope

You should try Listerine zero than normal Listerine.

Stacy, I have symptoms for over 2 years and have resigned to trying to ignore the salty, grainy drainage from/around tooth #11. Started with a burning sensation like one would feel eating hot pizza. This lasted several months and I used topical numbing meds for this that helped but only temporarily. Next the area started draining the salty grainy substance and has never stopped except at night it does subside when lying down. Then six months ago I had #14 extracted b/c it cracked,decayed and had an old filling. To replace this tooth with an implant will be 5K. I really would rather spend the $ on fixing the drainage problem in my mouth. I have been to my dentist and discussed it in length for over two years, two oral surgeons, two visits to an dental specialist(U of Iowa) that says it is NOT my teeth and recommends seeing a neurologist, an ENT that reports no abnormalities,1endodontist that performed a flap procedure in that area and filed a place that may have been abrasive-drainage continued, 1Family physician that did basic A/I tests that were negative. I also have chronic headaches,burning facial area and left ear. I have had 2 sinus infections in the last 6 months, bronchitis that required antibiotics.
HELP let me know what you have found out or have any solutions.

What tests? What kind of surgery?
I have it too