I heard that Nike Shoxs are bad running shoes during a cross country practices in the summer. I am planning on getting new running shoes and wondered if thats true. I run cross country and track. Long distance in cross country, and sprints in track (100m, 200m, and the relays). One of the shoes I'm looking at is the Nike 360 air. I have a normal arch, which might affect my shoe choices.

why would you want them if you heard they weren't good running shoes?

there are tons of other shoes you could choose from that haven't gotten a negative spin. consider your arch and if you pronate or supinate (roll in or roll out on your foot strike) and have a knowledgeable running store person help you with a new shoe.

don't do gimmick shoes, i'm betting you won't find anyone here that runs in them.

Yup! What she said.

The Nike 360 air are not shox, it is the new nike shoe with the air cushion for midsoles. I didn't plan on getting shox, but I was just wondering if that was true or not. Thanks for the imput though.

oh, i thought they were the same thing, sorry.
i think if the shoe is suited for your foot type, minus any hype, it should work, at least it's a starting point. i'll have to look at the 360s.
good luck :wavey:

You know, I had heard the same thing about the shox--and had to convince my son of that when we went to buy track shoes for tryouts.

I would like to know if it's true, too.

If you do hear something, please repost and let us know.

yea the shox arent good...the air max 360s are light and make u feel light on ur feet, but the support in them is no good and if u popp them, which can happen easly, u wasted $160 that could buy u 2 pair of good shoes!

Having just bought my new shoes, i would recomend you go to a running-specific store. They should look at your feet, stride, and the wear on a current pair of your shoes and make a recomendation based on that. It's really not an easy thing to look at shoes on the internet and say "those are the shoes for me."
You really need to get to the store and try them on. The shoes i ended up getting felt like they were made for me as soon as I tried them on (after about a dozen others and one frustrated salesmen) they fit like a glove with support in all the right places.
If they'll let you, request that you can jog in, or preferably outside the store so you can really get a feel for the shoes. Good luck.

I've done this and I've gotten decent shoes. I have noticed though that some running stores tend to be "running snobs" only carrying certain shoe brands and not others.
So, if it's not in the store they certainly aren't going to recommend it. I was curious if they were any good.

Personally, I don't like using any of the shoes like the Nike Shox that have the "shock absorber" things, they just feel too clunky for a running shoe.

I have been running for more than 20 years. Daily 8 km, I run 2 days and skip one, than again 2 days. Always on asphalt, concrete. I have had plenty of nike airs in the past. They are useless. The air soles deflate in weeks and after the shoes are useless. I have bought my first shox TL 8 years ago. I have never had such a comfort than in these shoes. the first pair lasted 4 years. I bought exactly the same shoes after. now the second pair is almost finished. I looked for the latest nike running shoes, I bought now a Nike air span 6. This shoe is way too low for long distance. If you get used to the extreme cushioning of a shox, all these ordinary cushioned shoes(lunar glide, structure, spans) will not be appropriate. For me, nike shox is the best for running. I recommend to everyone. It is though a bit tall, so ankle might sprain if one does not pay attention. But still, the best there is for me.

good luck

What is the problem that people keep talking about with Nike Shox and other air-cushioned shoes? Is it the durability of the air cushion or is a runner more prone to injury? I do wonder if there is any increased risk in rolling an ankle especially when running through a corner or turn. I could also see perhaps how the air cushions protect one from shin splints or other injuries because of the hard impact of the foot hitting the concrete.

Before I really got into running, I got them because they "looked cool". BIIIIIG mistake. I got some of the worst shin splints of my life with my Shox. That problem was resolved with a new paid of Mizuno's :D