I've seen recommendations on having two pairs of shoes and rotating between them. Is this necessary?

Not necessary, but nice. If you can afford the initial investment and you're running several times a week, I'd recommend it.

If you ever run twice a day, I'd definitely recommend it so you don't have to put on sweaty shoes. Right now I have 2 pairs, and neither of them are a perfect fit. I find that they sort of balance each other out - by alternating I'm not subjecting my feet to the same flaw in shoe fit over and over again.

I'm a geek I guess..

mizunos for the treadmill, brooks for the trail, adidas for the streets, nikes for the long runs and asics for in the snowshoes.. :shrug:

I buy a new pair about 200-300 miles in that way they are still in good shape and let me break the new ones in slowly and switch back in forth from day to day until the new ones are ready to be primary....

Same shoe- Asics gel nimbus

Same shoe- Asics gel nimbus

If you are running considerable mileage and/or running doubles then I recommend rotating 2 or more pairs...