I was diagnosed with Bailysascaris few days ago. When doctor told me what is going on I was so scared. I can not believe that this is happening to me. I do not even know how was I infected. Can you tell me more about my condition?

Baylisascaris is intestinal raccoon roundworm that can infect a variety of other animals, including humans. The worms develop to maturity in the raccoon intestine, where they produce millions of eggs that are passed in the feces and released eggs take 2-4 weeks to become infective to other animals and humans. The eggs can survive for years and people become infected when they accidentally ingest infective eggs in soil, water, etc. When humans ingest these eggs, they hatch into larvae in the person's intestine. Then they travel throughout the body, affecting the organs and muscles. Symptoms depend on how many eggs are ingested and where in the body the larvae migrate. They travel through the liver, brain, spinal cord, or other organs. Ingesting a large numbers of eggs can lead to serious symptoms that can take a week or so to develop. The most common symptoms are nausea, tiredness, liver enlargement, loss of coordination, lack of attention, loss of muscle control, blindness, coma etc. Early treatment helps to reduce serious damage caused by the infection.