My husband is taking Effexor for anxiety, and has since January 2009. We are trying to get pregnant, with no luck yet. We have only been trying for a few months, but it didn't take this long the first time (we have a 4 year old). How exactly does Effexor affect sperm, and does it affect all men the same? Am I jumping the gun and not giving us enough time, before concluding its the effexor?

Hi hon! I have done quite a bit of research and what I came up with will upset you! Effexor and other anti depressants have been shown to stop the mobility of sperm! They show that the drugs causes the sperm not to travel to the semen! On some reports it shows that the sperms mobility is 0!!!!! The good thing is that the mobility comes back when the pill is stopped! I think it is best for yourself and your husband to talk to your doctor, and see if your husband can come off the antidepressants! Because he has been on them for 10 months already he CANNOT come immediately off them OK?!!! He has to be weaned of them over a period of time! Good luck and health to both of you1

Thank you Bambi. From the research I have been doing, I have found similar information. I did see that every man is different and that it may not affect each man the same. Sill though, one more month trying, and if we don't get pregnant, we are going to try to wean him off. It just is a little scary because the medicine has done wonders for him. He does have a doc appt this week, I am planning on going with him and talking to the doctor to see what her thoughts are. I don't want to continue trying like we are if there is no point and there is no chance of getting pregnant. I want to be pregnant by the end of the year. I know its not that easy, so I have an open mind. Thank you for researching.

I wish that someone would post that possibly did get pregnant while her husband was ON the medicine, but I think that is going to be far-fetched :-(

I jusst wanted to add one more thing! Depending on why your husband had to go on the Effexor, just know that quite often, you don't have to be on antidepressants for a long time. His seratonin levels can actually be normal now, so it's a good idea that you are going with him! Write EVERYTHING down that you want to ask, and please do NOT wean him off these pills yourself OK? Depending on your husbands situation, he might just be able to go off of them for a month or so while you are trying, then go back on them! So find out first before doing anything OK? Good luck to both of you!

Well, we have decided to try for one more month, without him going off of the medicine. If, after this month, still no luck, he is going to go off of the medicine, atleast until I get pregnant. We will see what happens! thank you so much for your advice...it means a lot :-)

PLEASE Do NOT do this by yourself OK? IF your husband just goes off them, it can have TERRIBLE consequences. So please talk to the doctor about it OK?

Oh, I know...I have read some scary stuff about the withdrawels of this medicine. We definitely would not do this by ourselves. No way.

Bambi...I went back to this post cause I remembered it was like my very first post. And I didn't realize it was you giving me advice on this and that is always YOU helping me and there for support! You're great ! Of course, you know I'm preggers...so I guess that there are special instances where a man taking an antidepressant can produce healthy sperm! Good for me... and good for him since he doesn't have to stop taking it, huh :-D

Thankyou for letting me know! When they put things on the internet, it is the average of people NOT that it will always happen - as in your case! Glad he didn't have to go off them, it is VERY tricky! How far along are you?

Oh, only 7 weeks...but so sick :$

I started taking B6 and it seems to be helping...I can atleast eat now! I haven't been able to keep much down or put anything in my mouth for the last two weeks. Everything seems to be a little different this time around...which I know every pregnancy is different. I have also found that lemonade and water with lemon really soothes the nausea too...I've also been sucking on lemon drops which seem to help. Still, my taste buds are whacked...nothing tastes as good as it did before, except Sherbert, which is more delicious than ever!!! XD

I'm already ready to be in the second trimester....I forgot how much the first one SUCKS :-(

Oh! Another British las! I just was talking to another lady, she was put on a cream of 12.5% Promethazine! I checked it out COMPLETELY and the only country that uses it for this is the UK! I trust the UK and Europes medical visions VERY much - I even get herbs and supplements shipped to me from India - as they are virtuall ALL natural! Also the lemon drops are great, keep them next to your bed, and before you even try to get up, pop one in your mouth, let it dissolve THEN get up! Thus the reason why it is called Morning Sickness - as this is the worst for women with LOW blood sugars! Eat small and often - especially a protein and a fat and a vitmain/mineral! When you say "lemonad" are you talking North American Lemonde - the yellow citrus juice - OR are you talking clear pop? I will tell you a funny story! I was 2 days away from my 11th birtday whem my parents pulled my sister and I from Britain to live in Canada1 We went to our local Coop restaurant, and I asked for "Lemonade (pop)" She brought me LEMONADE!!! I was almost in tears! I thought "OH NO!! I've left a country with pop! And come to a place with no pop!" I had tears in my eyes - I mean pop is VERY important to an 11 year old! ;-) So I asked the waitress, "don't you guys have clear fizzy pop here?!" She replied "OH! You mean 7-UP!!!!" I was ELATED and relieved!!!! ;-) I LOVE Dandelion and Burdock, Pontefract Cakes, Flakes, Twigglets! And the blackberry drops!! We have several British stores where I live so THANK GOD!! The only problem is they have REALLY old Crisps!!!! ;-)

LOL XD ...Bambi...I'm not British! I wouldn't mind being a British Las, but I am totally all-American XD I live in Indiana :-D

I had no idea that you were British...but I guess you live in CA now?!?!?

Anyway, I tried 7-up, but actual Lemonade works better for me! Isn't that funny..usually it is Sprite or 7-up that helps, but for me I think is the tartness of the lemonade, just like the drops.

So, what is the Promethazine used for...morning sickness? Where do you put the cream? I have been feeling so much better since I have been on b6 for the last 5 days. I just keep telling myself 5 more weeks and this will be over...then comes the fun part of pregnancy :-D

Actually I just found out from the other lady that it is now perscribed in the US! IF you are doing fine as far as the shots etc, then keep to that! Actually I'm living in Canada! "Lemonade" is perfect for you actually, because it is tart! And tartness is great for most pregnant women, PLUS it has Vitamin C and sugars to help you with keeping you blood sugars up!

Hi! My husband is on anti-deprssents too. So you were able to get pregnant?

Yes, I was! Almost exactly 4 months after stopping my birth control!