Last night I was at the dinner party with some friends and we talked about rare diseases. Anyway Diana and John lived in Africa for some time and they told me about tsetse syndrome. As I understood it is transmitted by tsetse fly. They called sleeping sickness and that it is often fatal if is not treated. Have anyone heard about it? I am very curious to hear more details.

Sleeping sickness is a parasitic disease in humans. Protozoa Trypanosoma causes and it is transmitted by the tsetse fly. The disease is very spread in some regions in Africa. It begins with fever, headaches and joint pains…later they are spread into anemia, endocrine problems, kidney disorders etc. Than it attacks neurological system…and symptoms are confusion and reduce coordination, sleep cycle is disturbed and finally if it is not treated disease is fatal. So as you can see there is nothing exciting about tsetse syndrome.