Hello...a few years ago my daughter nearly died from Epiglottitis...today she developed the signs of Conjunctivitis,which have taken hold of both eyes in about 12 hours...She has had 2 open heart ops because she has Downs Syndrome and having just read that Conjunctivitis can cause itching and the closing of the throat,i was wondering if i should take her to the hospital...it looks like bacterial Conjunctivitis but i can't be sure...she is trying to get to sleep and she was coughing but this is not unusally for her at bedtime but i am still concerned as to what i should do...she did say that she could see rainbows but i think it was just lots of colour before her eyes rather than an actual rainbows...i intend to stay awake all night so i can keep an eye on how she is sleeping and may end up taking her to hospital if it's viral Conjunctivitis and her breathing becomes strained but will still post this to see what you think.

Regards John

Can i also add a few things that i did not mention.She is 10 years old and started growing pubic hair when she was 9.My wife and I have spoken with our own doctor about puberty and we were told that in Downs Syndrome girls,menstruation could start in a few years,despite the growing of pubic hair.I mention this as i read that menstruation can cause Conjunctivitis.I have brought her into the living room and she has gone to sleep complaining that the light hurts,which i suspected as her mother had Conjunctivitis in her teens and up to her early 20's.My daughter was also sniffling as she went to sleep but she doesn't have a cold.She appears very content sleeping but i know from experience with the Epiglottitis that it can turn into a life threatening thing in the space of a few hours.Thank you for any help.

Regards John

I have determined it's bacterial and not viral.I will take her to the doctors tomorrow morning.John

could someone please help me i would like to know if there is any link between epiglottitis and mosaic down syndrome.