I am about to travel to Africa and I was warned about some kind of Tripanosomiasis disease. Can you tell me if it’s possible to prevent this from occurring, if there’s vaccine to be taken before I would go, how often it occurs, who is at risk and things like that. I am about to leave in two weeks, and haven’t heard about it before. They got me really worried now. Please, write back ASAP!!!!!!!

Hello! I am sure you have heard about the tsetse flies, right? Well, these flies carry parasites that cause the disease. There are two different parasites, one is found in East and another in West and Central Africa. Anybody who travels to these countries is at risk. Unfortunately, there is no vaccination available but there are certain things one could do to avoid getting the disease. It would be best to wear some protective clothes. Long sleeves would be a smart choice but also thicker clothes because these flies can bite through thin fabrics. Avoid wearing bright and dark colors as this attracts the flies. Insect repellents won’t help you much with tsetse but may protect from other insects. It would be wise to get a bed-net, to avoid bushes as the flies rest there, always check rooms and vehicles for the flies presence. There is a treatment for the disease but it needs to be started asap.

CAN U TELL ME IF U CATCH IT CAN IT KILL U IN 2 DAYS TIME as iam going to ghana