Hi. I went to see my physician because of some back pain and he told me that I might have a mycrobacterium avium complex, changes in my lungs. He gave me an injection, but it hasn`t helped. I've been on some antibiotics for some eight months, still nothing. Anyway, don`t know much about MAC and would like to hear more. Also heard about link between MAC and HIV, but my HIV results were negative.

Hi. Mycobacterium avium complex is a group of bacteria, from soil or water. Yeah, MAC can infect people with HIV. MAC causes disseminated disease in up to 40% of patients with HIV. In persons whose CD4+ cell count drops below 50 cells per microliter, the bacteria can spread throughout the body and cause infections. The symptoms are night sweats, fever, diarrhea, fatigue... You can`t easily avoid exposure to MAC, but there are some meds that can prevent disease. Disseminated MAC is diagnosed by one positive blood culture. About the treatment, you have azithromycin, clarithromycin and ethambutol. Unfortunately, therapy continues for the lifetime.