I am very sad because of something I found out four days ago. My daughter used to have problems with health almost all her life. She has ear infections often, which made her doctor confused. Anyway, now he concluded what is her problem and diagnosed her with TMJ. I am so sad because she is only 17 years old so I would like to know if there is someone with the same problem, who can give us some advice.

Considering I have the same problems as your daughter, perhaps I can give you some guidance. The great majority of TMJ disorders are a result of a backward and upward movement of the mandible. This kind of problems with lower jaw results in compression of the tissues in the joint itself. Following this the discus articularis, which lies between the bones of the upper and lower jaw may become dislodged. This is probably something, which your 17 years old daughter is newly diagnosed, or will be. Along with this some, many head and neck may become involved resulting in not only restricted movements and pain of the jaw joint. There could also be involved problem with the muscles of the head, neck and shoulders. You see the real solution of the problem rests with an accurate diagnosis through a thorough history, examination, x-rays, dental models and photographs. Toward this end, you need to find someone in your area who utilizes computer driven jaw-tracking system. Maybe that is something, which will allow the practitioner to both diagnoses the problem and treat the existing situation.

I've had TMJ since I was 8 and I have been fine, so I'm sure your 17 year old daughter will be fine too. :-D

I am a 17 year old girl and I have TMJ and it doesn't really affect me all that much. My dentist was actually the one that diagnosed me with it. I have been okay and Im sure your daughter will be alright as well!!

Hi. I have about 7 people in my family that suffers from TMJ problems. Actually TMJ stands for tandibular mandible joint, it's the part that helps move the mandible, which is the jaw bone. My mother, my 2 sisters, myself & 2 daughters are the sufferers. Many different doctors & special tests & mouth guards have been received. One good thing about all of it is that my health insurance covers problems with TMJ. My oldest daughter suffered for many years, had pain killers, muscle relaxers, mouth guard, and now just "lives" with it. She couldn't open her mouth more than a pinkie tip's width most times. She went through at least a year of eating mushy foods. Now she's 19 and can open her mouth a bit more. but the pain sometimes puts a great stress on her. She went to a doctor in Miami that is widely known for sucessful surgery on the TMJ He also has made his own surgical tools & teaches the surgery technique. He never got to perform the surgery on my oldest daughter because by the time she would have gotten it done she was too old to be covered on my insurance which really stinks! Now my youngest daughter has had a lot of the same symptoms. She was 10 when we found a closer Maxilofacial doctor to go to that takes my insurance. It does cause headaches and doesn't help in the nutrition aspects of our lives because we tend to eat fattening foods because we figure that it's easier to eat.
I think we will continue to go the doctor for my younger daughter, although the doctor says that he's never seen a problem with TMJ in this young a person. I told him that it's been all these females in my family only. He wants to keep in contact to "watch" our history.

Can you please tell me who was the doctor

thanks