Few years ago, I am diagnosed with TMJ. Somehow, I get used for all symptoms though it was not easy at all. Anyway, there is one thing that worries me lot. Lately I am feeling some kind of dizziness that is confusing. I think if that might be my TMJ is getting worst, so I would like to know if that is normal.

Many TMJ patients have TMJ dizziness or vertigo. This is very often, what bothers the patient the most like you experienced. There are two possible causes for vertigo. The first cause may be related to the fact that the jaw joint is located just in front of your inner ear. Part of the inner ear acts like a carpenter's level and automatically helps body with balancing. When a patient's TMJ is inflamed and sore, its next-door neighbor, or inner ear, can be affected causing TMJ vertigo or dizziness. If you injure a muscle, all of the muscles around the injured muscle contract tightly. The inflamed TMJ muscles might cause the muscles in the inner ear to tighten and create you some problems. The second possible cause is the tightening and inflammation of the sternocleidomastoid muscle. The SCM is often sore in TMJ patients, and this muscle like the inner ear, helps your body keep in balance.