Hi, I damaged my TMJ and it hurts very much. It also lost its function, and doctor recommended me total temporomandibular joint reconstruction. Does that include implants?

Hi, I had temporomandibular joint reconstruction few years ago, because I injured my TMJ. I couldn’t move it normally any more, and it hurt badly. Implants helped me a lot. They are made to fit my low and skull, with anatomical model of my TMJ anatomy. The surgically put me the implants under general anesthesia. They made two incisions. Through one they implanted the condylar component, and through the other, the fossa component. I had some minor complications like swelling, bruising and discoloration. It could be much worse. I know about patients who had chronic jaw muscle spasm, facial muscle weakness and permanent numbness. My body accepted TMJ implants very well, and I didn’t have any more problems.