Hi everyone, I'm 19 years old and for about the past 4 years I have been on a roller coaster with my body. When I was 16 I RANDOMLY gained 30 pounds (weighing 135 at that point) in a matter of 6-8 weeks unexplainably. During this time, my hair started falling out, I broke out horribly, I became constipated, and of course depressed. This continued for about a year. I was loosely diagnosed with PCOS by an endocrinologist, but was told by my gyno. shortly after that she was 99.9% sure I did not have it (I did not have any cysts on my ovaries). I was put on birth control and spironolactone (a diuretic that helps with acne and hairloss) and within the span of about a year everything VERY SLOWLY mellowed out. I was told by many doctors that this was probably just puberty and that I was paying attention to what I was eating or that I was stressed, etc. Needless to say, I was working out like crazy and counting EVERY SINGLE MORSEL that touched my lips. The only thing I was stressed about was whatever the **** was going on with my body. I am not very high-strung and I rarely get stressed out. Every doctor acted as if I were making this up or overreacting. 

By the end of my senior year, 2 years after all of this nonsense began, it was as if EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOM disappeared. Like night and day. I returned to my normal weight of 105, had NO breakouts, no hair loss, not the slightest bit of constipation or any depression, etc. It was the strangest thing and no one could figure it out. I could eat whatever I wanted and not exercise a bit and I stayed the same weight. No stomach pains or bloating at all. However, in my second semester of college I was thrown another curve ball...it started happening again!! I gained 24 lbs in 5 weeks with no explanation...breakouts began over night, as well as the constipation, etc. About 6 weeks ago I was put on Metformin, but have really had no luck with it. I've lost maybe 3 pounds since being on it...but I've been very active and had no appetite whatsoever, so I'm not sure if it's even helping. 3 lbs means nothing when you can gain it back as easily as I do. I recently have been experiencing slight memory loss and just foggy thoughts I feel like. I can eat 5 crackers, or a salad and feel as if I just ate 10 cheeseburgers and fries. It is crazyyyy. I can find no correlations between lactose, gluten, or any foods to any of this going on.

I have been checked for hypothyroidism, cushings, vitamin D deficiency, insulin resistance, had ultrasounds done, and numerous other things. All of my levels are not fine, but PERFECT. So once again no one can help me. I have recently read about iodine deficiencies, bacterias/fungus in the stomach, ovarian tumors/cysts, liver dysfunction, and LEAKY GUT! For me, the leaky gut hit the nail on the head as far as ALL of my symptoms go. I'm going to go back to the GI and see if any of these things could be the source of my problem. I just don't understand it coming and going like night and day though. Definitely read up on leaky gut and these other illnesses i've mentioned...they sound a lot like the things y'all have been mentioning, as well. 

have your kidney functions tested thourghly, and correct any high blood pressure with ramipril, keep taking the metformin at the highest dose, take a glucose tolerance test and a HbA1c, also check cortisone levels and testosterone levels, a full hormone panel if its not already been done, make sure your thyroid levels are tested with T4 test, keep taking vitamin D and have a full vitamin and mineral panel test if not already done, particularly looking at iron, b12, vitamin D and the B complex (including folic acid), have your full blood count checked as well. It is possible to have PCOS and a scan not show micro cysts, you may still have it in which case reduce any excess weight, eat a low glycemic diet to stabilise blood sugar and insulin levels, increase exerzise and follow an elimination diet to rule out any food intolerances, if your skin is extremely dry and the hair loss continues it may be worth other investigations into your thyroid function. the contraception pill is often used to help PCOS also. Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much! I will definitely check into all this and see if anything helps...at this point i'm willing to try anything!

did you ever find a solution or get properly diagnosed? I am experiencing similar symptoms and looking for answers.

Did you find anything further out? This sounds like exactly what I am going through!

Hi, when i read your whole description it just sounded exactly like me.. You've described it perfectly woth the foggy mind and the feeling bloated. I get also confused sometimes and can't think clearly, i sweat intensively all of a sudden my shirt gets soaked it's horrible, i feel heavy, puffy and bloated and i can feel it when it starts even my skin feels different and the acne starts very suddey, when i usually have very clear skin. Also, are your menses very painful or heavy? I also gain a few pounds ( mostly around the mid section) before my period. It's horrible. And when i take blood tests, they don't indicate any signs of PCOS.. When i actually had some insulin resistance when i was 14-15 (in now 23) because i had also suddenly gained a lot of weight, but i'm a bery healthy person now. I exercise every day almost and eat a very healthy strict diet.

Wow. Sounds like the same thing happened to me. It's like I'm allergic to fat. I remember when it first started happening...when I started gaining weight. I had a breakup and I decided I was going to eat whatever the heck I wanted. Well, whatever I wanted consisted of ice cream morning noon and night. That was about it. I gained 15lbs and my body started to freak out. I couldn't stop gaining weight despite me not eating a lot and stopping the ice cream eating. I had really bad stomach problems. My noticed my hair started falling out. I had a foggy brain. My skin started breaking out even more and it was oilier than ever not to mention the coarse chin and facial hairs that showed up. The facial hairs would be like one coarse hair on my cheek, maybe three on my chin, four on my neck, a couple on my jawline...nothing that said hairy face really but I would still pluck them out. I remember as a teen when I weighed 150lbs at my heaviest as a teen at only 5'2. I lost the weight around 18 yrs old and was down to my regular 130lbs. I lost another 10lbs around 19 and that was only because the person's house I stayed at the most seemed to not believe in keeping food in the fridge and I was "in love". So I ended up being 120lbs in which that weight came off in my thighs. So when I had the break up, I gained 15lbs back which would make me 135 and although it wasn't bad, my body freaked out and kept piling the weight back on. Not only that, but I was experiencing weird hair loss that if I tugged on a strand, it would slide easily out of my hair follicle and my eye sight became worse. I was checked out for diabetes, pcos, hypothyroidsim and pretty much all the doctors probably thought I was crazy because all my tests came back normal. I knew i had anemia, but I've always had anemia and people can have anemia without the crazy weight gain and hair loss I was experiencing. I am at my heaviest now a little over a decade later at 200lbs, hemorrhaging menstrual cycles with half of my hair gone in the back of my head. It's an ophiasis pattern hair loss so it's not easy to cover up. I lost a decade of my life to this illness that's not diagnosable. Every doctor claims there is nothing wrong with me and have had doctors to be rude to me. I've had a gynecologist find high levels of candida in my system although I exhibit no yeast infections. I learned on a website once that high levels of candida is a result of the body trying to fight off a bacterial infection. I did have pancreatitis once and other weird inflammatory issues like tendonitis that would pop up out of nowhere not to mention a stomach issue that feels like Crohn's Disease. I need help but can't get it.

I have exactly the same symptoms and problems as you! The doctors can't figure out what is wrong with me. Have you figured out what is wrong yet, any diagnoses?  

This sounds exactly like what is happening with me, except my symptoms started at 19 (im 25 now) and have only gotten worse with every passing year. The whole face acne at 19, hair loss like crazzzzyyy at 21. I was really active and working out a lot. I was always around 110-115lbs. Perfect weight for my height and body. Last yr my acne suddenly disappeared, but something else appeared. Weight gain! 20lbs + NO PERIOD. I haven't had a period in a year and I have tested negative for every category. As of the last week I've also been experiencing this feeling of eating five crackers and a salad and feeling like I ate a 100 cheeseburgers, which is totally unlike what I'm used to (I like to snack and muncher)... Any updates on your satiety levels, weight and health over the past year?

I am going through what sounds like the same thing now and again no one believes me but i work out like crazy 90 mins of intense exercise 5 days a week and eat so well. if i cheat and eat 1 biscuit i put on kilograms of weight and become so bloated. ive always had a very healthy metabolism - going twice a day. and suddenly out of nowhere - i turned 28 after coming out of an 8 year relationship and not only did that go wrong but my body just went nuts. first i lost a whole lot of weight, which made sense as i wasnt eating much, but then my periods stopped and things went from bad to worse. i became super constipated and bloated. ive always had people comment on my clear 'baby' skin but it became covered in acne. ive been tested for hypothyroidism and had all the blood tests for everything you can imagine and nothing. ive been like this for 6 months now and im losing my mind. i try to stay positive but when you cant enjoy life and all you do is put on weight its really hard. i just want some answers about what is going on with my body and how to get back to normality.

HI same thing happened to me! I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, but after almost two years on the meds, I'm still not improving, and I have the unnatural weight gain, bloating, hair loss, constipation, and digestive issues. Plus the foggy brain. My dermatologist said I have leaky gut, but it's not healing. I've had these issues for the last four years.

Me too. Im 42 yrs old. I know my body is changing but . its hard. Can still wear decent jeans but an ugly big shirt with it. All in my gut
Know of a good cheaper probiatic?

No. She just said to eat more fiber. Lol. Its more than that.

Same for me. Its depressing. Extra weight that does not need to be. I best get sleep. Overnight shift kills me sometime. Does not help gut issue either. Have a good day

Wow. U even wotk hard on it. I try. I have been on depo shot for 18 yrs. That contributes a lot to it too. Gotta get off it