I'm 17 and I've been on Low-Ogesteral 28 for two weeks now, I started October 3rd. I had intercourse with my boyfriend without a condom on October 13. He pulled out but I'm well aware of cases where pre-cum gets a girl pregnant. I take the pill EVERYDAY at 10 a.m. ...I'm so worried and I need at least some reassurance of some sort. How long does it take for this particular birth control to take effect?? Was I okay considering I waited a little over a week after starting before not using a condom?? please help:(

Honest answer: don't know. You pushed it a bit, and on the assumption that you started the pack immediately following your period, that means that the 13th would have been getting on for ovulation, and peak risk - not the best time for experimental research into contraception. Safer would have been to wait for next period, using condoms until that time, and to have considered taking Plan B.

You can check the manufacturer's website - a quick google search doesn't reveal the critical information: how long before it's considered effective. I think you were sensible enough that it's not high risk, but you basically had a race between build up of contraceptive chemicals and your ovulation: who won?

I guess you're about to find out. Check with your doctor or manufacturer's website and helpline for more info, or just hold on. Your call.

jeremiaz wrote:

Honest answer: don't know. You pushed it a bit, and on the assumption that you started the pack immediately following your period, that means that the 13th would have been getting on for ovulation, and peak risk - not the best time for experimental research..."

***I started the pack the 2 days after i started my period. I started my period on the 1st of October so when I started the pack, I was on my period. Does this lessen the blow of what you said??

While I can appreciate the concern you're feeling, and the dismay that you may be at some (slight) risk of pregnancy, I do hope that you didn't imagine I wanted to hurt you, or make a personal attack or criticism (lessen the blow). You made an informed and rational, and very sensible choice to go on the pill. You made a similarly rational and appropriate choice to wait until the pill had had its effect.

It is just extremely unfortunate that, barring information from the manufacturer as to a minimum time before the pills have become effective - it may be two days, it may be two weeks, neither of us knows, and I can't look it up without knowing the pill in question, and you can ask the manufacturer as well as I can - you had sex at a time that, as stated, has to be considered to be a risk.

Any time you do something without a clear understanding of the consequences, you enter into discovery, research - that, in fact, is my life, and it is a noble calling, provided you are conscious and want that uncertainty. In case you think I am any better than you, this case is particularly poignant to me, as thirty years ago - ouch - in the early days of sex with my first girlfriend, the condom broke, and she explained that she'd been on the pill for two weeks - perfect time for ovulation, but as it happens, enough time for the pill to work, so in that case the race was won by the pill. More's the pity, maybe, as she was very special indeed.

Right now, we just don't know, and no, starting the pill while on your period would not seem to lessen the risk. I had understood that that the design of the pill program was that it was initiated on the first day after your period, so there were no mixed signals for your body. While I doubt it had any material affect on the intended result - build up of hormone or chemicals to prevent with a high degree of certainty your chances of being pregnant - it may or may not have had an effect on the short, critical period before effectiveness.

Given that the morning after pill is effective in only one or two doses, using a higher concentration of hormone or chemicals, you may perfectly well be safe. You may also be lucky. We just don't know: experimental research. You've been a lot more sensible than many young teens - to judge by other posts - but sensible enough? You'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Hope it works out .

[correction] You did state the pill in question, and I did check the obvious websites, without finding the relevant information. You may be able to find an answer where I failed, and or contact the manufacturer directly.