I'm in the Army. I have to run; I have no choice. I'd always hated running until someone showed me a minor change to my form. After the minor form correction, I immediately took over a minute off my two mile time and got put with the fast running group, which is something I never dreamed would happen.

So, before, I ran because I had to. Now, I actually enjoy it. I've read (Men's Health) that the upper body is a hidden key to running fast. So, my question is, what should I do? I do a lot of pushups, abs and pullups on my own. What else should I do?

My own theory is that there are six basic exercises (Mil. Press, Bench Press, Dips, Pull Downs, Seated Rows, Upright Rows) that I can do, but I don't know how to break them up for different days to get the maximum effectiveness.

Any suggestions? Am I at least on target?

You are probably getting enough upper body workouts. Adding more will just add more mass that you have to carry uphill. Concentrate on core exercises. Abs, obliques, low back. This will have fight off fatigue and maintain power transfer.

I agree with TriBob here. I say it everyday at the gym "everything is attached to the core, don't neglect it." Your running form will improve which should improve your speed.

Hmmm. Okay, guys. Thanks.

I apologize for the late reply. I was on leave and got back only yesterday.