Hi guys. Whenever I start abdominal exercises, I feel back pain. Generally I don’t have back problems, but when doing abs workout I start to feel pain in the middle of my back or at the area of my low back. Are there abdominal exercises that can be performed, but do not put stress on the back? Please advise !

Hi! Yes, I feel your pain. Abdominal workout places a lot of stress on the back area – whether lower, middle or upper back, and even neck. From my experience I have learned it is better to perform lower number of repetitions and perform them correctly and most of all slowly – it gives much better effect and puts less stress on the back and neck – in my case neck, because I tend to “pull” with the neck when performing crunches, pareticulalry when I was performing lots of exercises (once a week I had a training of 1000 abdominals – they were performed quite quickly and when the abdominal muscles got tired, neck muscles tend to help – which is of course wrong) Planks are a great form of exercise you can use to work on your core and to some degree shoulders and chest, but most of all your back muscles: place your body on your toes and elbows and make sure to form a straight line – no sinking your butt in and no sticking your but up  If you form a straight line, this means your abs and back muscles are doing most of the work. Stay in this position at least 30 seconds, then rest for 30-60 seconds and repeat 2-3 times. There are few variety of planks – feet together or feet wide apart. When you are ready to get advanced: one leg in the air and then the other, or one arm in the air (these two are great for stability). These types of planks are static. There are also dynamic planks – which means you are slowly and with control moving your butt up and down. No super fats movements – the trick is in controlling your movement. There are side planks too - great for side abdominals or obliques (no more love handles) – lay on one side and support your body on the side of your feet and your bottom elbow. Make sure from toes to head your body forms a straight line. Repeat on the other side. Again, for advanced – one leg in the air, and again there is dynamic variation where you slowly and with control controlling move your hips up and down. It is also recommendable to perform back exercises that will help you to strengthen your back muscles – after every set of abdominal exercises perform the same number of repetitions of back exercises.

one word PILATES! I also have a bad back and it is amazing, just stay away from any exercises that put stress on the injured area. I have a bad lower back to i never do anything on my back with both legs elevated on an angle, it strains the lower back. Remember pilates was created for injured dancers so it's great and most of it is on the floor :)

I know for me when I have injuryed or hurt my back I hate not to work out so I have found some low impact yoga really helps me out so I can work back up to my normal work out again. I suffer from many types of back problems from a broken tail bone, slipped disc, among a long list. But Pilates and Yoga really seem to help me out.:-)

Well... Reality is that the reason why you experience back pain is because abdominal muscles are weak. You have to start with 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps and then work your way up; this is since you made clear that you have not had back injuries. Most of back problems develope because of a weak core and then the other muscles that are connected to the back, which are gluteous maximus and midius and hamstrings.

Celebrity

not true.
experience back pain is because BACK muscles are weak.

Yes exactly but muscles in the core are weak. And that produces back pain. I am a certified personal trainer an ld I train a lot of people with back problems. And like I said, unless there is a medical condition. Usually by strengthening your core, the back problems should improve.

Stop doing them .