Hi

Many months ago i presented to various urologists with symptoms similar to urethritis i.e frequent urination, testicular/epididymal pain, arthritic soreness in arms/legs etc -- initially i was diagnosed & treated successfully for chlamydia, but not before it spread to the prostate (causing prostatitis). However the symptoms (described above briefly) continued unabated & 4 months ago further tests revealed a mycoplasma bacteria called Ureaplasma Urealyticum (present in both urethra & prostate). I have had 2 treatments of doxycycline & despite my indicated susceptibility to this & other medicines the bacteria has not gone away. At present im very pessimistic & unsure what treatment options will kill this bacteria esp as it is within the prostate. ANy thoughts would be most appreciated

Sincerely,
john

I am not a doctor. I do not really know that much, however, I have been researching mycoplasma genitalium and ureaplasma urealyticum (which are related) and research shows that a drug called moxifloxacin (brand name Avelox) has succefully treated nearly all patients who did not respond to azithromicin or doxycyclin.
Try searching moxifloxacin and mycoplasma on google. Read some of the studies. I think you'll find that this drug looks the most promising.
I'm pretty sure I have mycoplasma genitalium myself and although my dr prescriped me a single dose of azithromycin (which isn't working very well) and thinks doxy should be the next move, I'm going to suggest moxifloxacin because of its amazing success in treating m. genitalium.
Hope this helped.

If after the first round of antibiotics Ureaplasma Urealyticum is still present (most of the time the first round works), a different antibiotic may be prescribed. Maybe in your case you are resistant to the antibiotics. Ureaplasma Urealyticum lives inside cells and do not have cell walls and therefore are unlike other bacteria. Most antibiotics won’t work because antibiotics work by damaging the bacteria’s cell wall. Doxycycline is a well known antibiotic for the treatment of Ureaplasma Urealyticum. I think the reason the bacteria is still present in your case is that you did not take the antibiotics long enough, take it for a few months. More information: ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Guest 1/31/11 said "... Maybe in your case you are resistant to the antibiotics. ...", this is a widespread misconception. I do not blame guest 1/31/11 for this error, I have even head it from physicians holding important charges in the health ministry of my country (terrifying, but this happens).

People may be or become allergic or in other way intolerant to antibiotics, as well as other drugs. But resistance to antibiotics is presented by bacteria.
Bacteria have sex-like reproduction called conjugation.  Some bacteria have little pipe which is introduced into a bacterium to transfer pieces of genetic material called plasmids. 

Those plasmids are translated into proteins that interact in a way that gives a new function to the recipient bacterium. One may be to become resistant to some antibiotic.  

If one takes an antibiotic, many part of the population may be killed, but some survive, some resistant other not. They interchange genetic material, but now the ones that survive reproduce even in the presence of the antibiotic. 
After some time, you see that bacteria is still infecting, then you try other antibiotic, and the same selection is achieved.
How should antibiotics be prescribed? I do not know, unfortunately not even physicians know. 
For that reason, we have many bacteria resistant to antibiotics.

Ureaplasma Urealyticum is even more difficult to treat because it is more like a fungus. That means that it can live within the cell. But it does not mean that an antibiotic may not penetrate infected cells. Temperature may help antibiotics to penetrate, but no research about this particular is done as far as I know.
(some research is done for other kind of drugs, mainly for the treatment of cancer.) 

Some organelles in the cell are bacteria, mitochondria evolved from a symbiotic bacteria. This may be affected by antibiotics as well. The toxicity of this kind of drugs should be taken into account with this therapies.

I am not a physician, but I'm scientist working in interdisciplinary research with biologists. 

Please take this facts as a warning of a caution should be taken into account in the treatment of infections. 
For other ways of how bacteria obtain new plasmids (dna rings) search for horizontal transfer in the web. 

Data shows resitance to Doxycycline. Recommend trying a course of Levofloxacin 500m x 7days

did this work?

Erythromycin for 2 weeks, 500mg four times a day can provide relief. I am not sure of the length to treat buy 2 weeks should be plenty, then retest.

The solution is to take 2 powerful drugs simultaneously for 2 weeks and then another two powerful drugs for another 2 weeks. This eliminates the possibility of survival of what would otherwise become a resistant colony.

Hi. Did you get relief? I have the same issues and taking moxi now. Praying it works

I am a female who was diagnosed with mycoplasma. I was first prescribed azithromycin, 1 dose. When tested again, still positive, I received the same dosage from a different doctor. Came back, still tested positive and was told that mycoplasma has 3 strains and urealplasma is resistant to azithromycin sometmes. I was then prescribed moxifloxacin, from the first doctor , and was then cured. Also, some times these doctors aren't fully aware of mycoplasma. I ran into a doc who thought I was delirious and just laughed. Goodluck

I am a female with myco/urea diagnosis. I have tried doxy and azithro and neither have worked. Still positive culture as of yesterday. Seeing a specialist next week and will ask about moxi. Hoping that will work for me. I have been dealing with this for almost a year now.

Hi did the moxy work?how long did u take the doxy when u did? I have only taken one lot of azithromycin and it did not work.

How did it work with the Moxi? I am battling this for a year now and am feeling hopeless. It was remedied only to come back and I have symptoms from this. I hope it worked for you.

Hello, I am just about to finish doxycycline after being tested positive for ureaplasma. I still have had no relief and feel it is getting worse! How long does the moxi take to work? I’m worried my doctor won’t prescribe me it? If anyone has any useful knowledge on how roc help me please email me at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of private e-mails is not allowed*** *** all questions should be discussed on our website *** Please read our Terms of Use I am feeling so hopeless and feel so depressed! I have a burning in my urethra constantly to the point where I cry!