Hi, I had a particularly hard case of cold few weeks ago so I had to see a doctor. After the examination the doctor said that the cold had grown into bronchitis and prescribed me albuterol and azithromycin. I was taking them as the doctor prescribed and after few days all of the symptoms, except for the cough, were gone. Yesterday a friend of mine came over and she was very surprised with my therapy. She said that she has read that azithromycin has no effect against bronchitis. But I used to take the tablets and I got well, so I believe that it did help me. Can you please settle this score for us, because we would like to know the truth?

Hi, a cold is a viral infection that can lead into bronchitis. This means that bronchitis is, in most of the cases, a viral infection too. Azithromycin is an antibiotic and they are used to treat bacterial infections. This would implicate that your friend is right and that azithromycin has no effect on bronchitis. The drugs that are affective against bacteria should not be used unless the doctor is one hundred percent sure that the condition is caused by bacteria because these organisms very quickly become resistant to antibiotics. Chances are that you did not get well because of the azithromycin, but thanks to the help of albuterol which is used as a bronchodilator. However, bronchitis in people who smoke can create a space for a secondary bacterial infection to occur. In these cases doctors prescribe antibiotics such as azithromycin to prevent this from happening. If you are a smoker this would probably the reason why the doctor prescribed you azithromycin.

No you are right! Sort of! First off I just had broncitis! I got Zithromax! Same thing! And it did help me a whole hell of a lot! Also there is 2 forms of bronchitis bacterial and viral! I had a cold as well before my bronchitis! So obv your dr thought you had bacterial bronc , not a viral bronc ! The way my dr said she knew right away was I had a really high fever 103 to be exact! She said viral bronc is a low grade fever between 98 and 100! But you are both right in some degree