Hi. I am 59 years old. I have problems with uncontrollable urination. Also, I feel an urge to urinate very frequently. What can be the cause of urinary leakage in elderly people? Sometimes I feel pain when I urinate.

Hi. Urinary leakage in elderly people has many causes. Common causes of urinary leakage include urinary tract infection, prostate infection, stool impaction, increased urine amounts, weight gain, mental confusion and side effects of meds. I must say the symptoms of urinary tract infection include an urge to urinate and painful urination. I am pregnant and I have problem with urinary leakage too. My doctor told me what to do to strengthen the muscles of my pelvic floor. This includes bladder retraining and Kegel exercises. Bladder retraining involves urination schedule. This means you can urinate only in scheduled time. In other words, to try waiting to the next scheduled time.