Hello! I was diagnosed with cholesterol gallstones after suffering from severe abdominal pain for a few days. My doctor says I probably had stones longer but they didn’t cause any troubles until now. He said he would prescribe me some ursodeoxycholic acid to help dislodge the stones. I would like to know how exactly the acid works and if there are any side effects of the drug! Thank you

Ursodeoxycholic acid is a generic and different drugs used are Destolit, Urdox, Ursofalk and Ursogal. They are used mainly for stones made of cholesterol only. They reduce the amount of cholesterol that is being released by the liver into bile and dislodges the stones by slowly dispersing the cholesterol. If you have been given a special diet low in fats and sugar, make sure you follow it. Some of the most common side effects are diarrhoea, itching and feeling sick.