I wonder if anyone can help me? I have recently been diagnosed with having gallstones and keep getting very bad attacks. I have been told to avoid all fatty foods and dairy products and have been put on a waiting list to have my gallbladder removed. I am doing ok with the new diet at the moment but would just like to know if anyone knows if it is sensible to drink alcohol at this point in time. I know there is obviously no 'fat' in the alcohol but could it bring on an attack? I have been told that I could be waiting around 6 months to have my gallbladder removed and would just like to know if I am safe to have a drink or should I try to give up for a while?
I would appreciate any advise on the matter and like to hear from anyone else in the same situation. Many thanks

HIya

I have just been diaginosed with the same problem, i have been told that i have to wait 6 weeks to have the stone removed,

I am wanting to know the same thing as you, i have been told to lay off fatty foods and dairy, but i want to have a glass of wine on my birthday! please can anyone help us

But the answer is NO you cannot drink with gallstones. I am in the same boat my self and the nurses here told me not to ... it can inflame your gallbladder and you can have an attack. So I am staying away from drinking;fatty foods; diary.

I am a long-time sufferer of Gallstones, even after having my Gallbladder removed years ago. Although, you will not have an attack after drinking alcohol EVERY time you absolutely increase your risk of having an attack! I only drink socially, and the first few times thought it was just a coincidence but I noticed if I drank once a month, 3-4 times out of the year it induced a painful attack so, do yourself a favor and stay away from the drinks until you get it resolved!

I also have been diagnosed with 2 stones. So far I am able to have a few drinks without problems.

i have a gallstone and do not intend on having my gallbladder removed. i know that may sound stupid to everyone, but i heard it will be even harder when you get rid of it. it is very difficult to drink with a gallstone, though, because you get major acid reflux and you get sick very easily. then you will puke up whatever bile your liver/gallbladder is pumping out. i haven't had an attack in about a year though. i would suggest eating protein because it is the hardest for your stomach to digest and will keep your liver/gallbladder working hard to break down that food which means you won't be puking up the bile. i know this all sounds disgusting, but it works.

i have 2 gallstones too an i am not getting my gall bladder out either so i dont think your stupid...i just dont want the op...as much as everyone is advising other wise...but yeah i am wanting to have a drink as well but not sure if i should...really dont think i could bare that pain again...however one of my stones is blocking the bile duct so prob not my smartest option to not have the op...lol...so who says yes drink an who says no...last day of school holidays tomorrow i want a drink havent drank all school holidays

I am waiting for an ultra sound to check for stones, so I have been reading about nature flush methods. Has any tried the applejuice for 2 weeks then the epson salt followed by olive oil/juice method?? Try to explore a few options. I better hurry cause I am hurting.

After an ultrasound examination last week, I'm now waiting to have an op. The scan showed up 30+ stones. I have a PhD in Biomedical Sciences, so I can certainly appreciate how 'special' this makes me.

It is perfectly safe to consume alcohol, and it is even advisable to consume dairy products. Simply cut down on fatty foods and avoid spicy meals and you'll be fine.

i just found out on christmas eve that i have gallstones! And i really have no clue what im suppose to eat and what im not suppose to. and i want to be able to drink a couple drinks on new years eve, but i dont know if it would be a bad idea. And im not getting my gall bladder removed because i heard you get liver disease or something and have to deal with that the rest of your life. How do you get ride of Gallstones.

I do not suggest drinking with a gall bladder problem. im an alcoholic and have been fighing a battle with alcohol and gall stones. it seems that when i drink it provokes me haveing a gallstone attack. Though i probably drink much more than most of you it still seems to cause problems.

Well I too have gallstones and was admitted to hospital in December after a particularly bad attack, now have a date for the op in January, however I have had a miserable Christmas and New Year as I haven't dared eat anything nice, or drink any alcohol. Resorted to one small glass of wine in front of me for three hours, sipping and sniffing and pretending I was having a drink - how sad is that. Despite being really careful, have still had varying degrees of burning and yet another attack during the night a couple of days ago. So be very wary with what you eat and drink, the slightest things seems to set them off!

I just looked it up on the internet, and it says consuming 2 units of alcohol a day can help reduce the risk of gallstones by a third. But I'm not sure about what to do while you have them.

OK I've been doing a lot of research on this as my sister was recently diagnosed and she too does not want the op.....firstly probably not advisable to drink right now as it could aggravate it - but I guess if you really wanted to take the chance and suffer then you will at least know....although I wouldn't chance it. Secondly down the legumes - yes beans, beans, everywhere....6 small portions of beans or peas a day (pinto, black beans, yellow-eyed, green split, red, split peas, black eyed peas - not green beans or wax beans as these are not considered legumes).

Beans, manuka honey, brocolli - lots of to flush out the bile that is clogging up the system and causing those stones.....My sister today, despite being advised that she should have the surgery 3 months ago, got a clean bill of health and whilst not completely rid of the stones she is very nearly there and the doctor was amazed!!

Check out a nutritionist called Karen R Hurd

I had 2 episodes over a span of 2 weeks this past month. The pain was horrific lasting over several hours. I am opting for the surgery (happening this week) because I don't want to experience that type of pain again. Now I haven't stayed away from spicy food but I have not eaten any fatty foods. I am having one glass of wine tonight and I will see how it goes. I had similar pains a year ago but when they went away so I didn't think anything about it. Thought I had "trapped" gas.

Symptoms included: back pain that felt like someone was pulling my spine through my stomach since the pain was also in my right upper abdomen. No position was comfortable. I was nauseated and vomiting.

I did have an ultrasound that showed gallstones and an inflamed gall bladder.