My mother complains of pain in the right upper abdomen. Since I study in medical school I think there gall bladder should be. I am afraid she will develop gallstone disease, so I would like to hear something more about it. For example I would like to know how the gallstones are formed. What kind of treatment will be appropriate for gallstone disease?

Gallstone disease is occurring of gallstones, lumps of solid material that form within the gall bladder. There are two major types of it. Cholesterol gallstones are mainly composed of cholesterol that is made in the liver. Other, less common are pigment gallstones composed of calcium salts, bilirubin and other material. Excess cholesterol is removed from the blood by the liver and secreted into bile. When bile contains too much cholesterol, they fall to the bottom of the gall bladder. Its crystals fuse together in the gallbladder to form stones of varying sizes, known as gallstones that cause this disease. Usually treatment is surgery, because gall bladder is an important organ, but is not essential for life. Oral medication, ursodiol, dissolves cholesterol gallstones and is safe and effective alternative to gall bladder surgery for many patients. The time required to resolve gallstone disease is directly related to the size of the stone.