I am 35 years old woman and few days ago my doctor diagnosed me with gallstones. They are still small and not causing any problems. However, I am sure that eventually they will. Can I get more information about gallstones?

Gallstones are small and hard stones which can develop in the gallbladder. They can result in a blockage of the flow of bile out of the gallbladder. This leads to symptoms like pain, jaundice or yellowed skin and fever. The body can function well without a gallbladder and removing it is a common treatment for gallstones. However, this is only a case when they are causing symptoms. If the gallstones are blocking the bile ducts, they can be viewed using an endoscope instead of open surgery. Gallstones can sometimes be removed by enlarging the bile duct and removing the stones. This is done with special tools attached to the endoscope. The gallbladder is a small pear-shaped pouch situated under the liver in the upper right part of the abdomen and it stores bile, a liquid produced by the liver. The operation is usually done using keyhole surgery, which is called laparoscopic cholecystectomy.