Hi, I had endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) few days ago, and a physician told me that I have gallstones. The only thing I know about them, is that they are made of hardened liquid stored in the gallbladder. Can anyone tell me something more about it?

Gallstones are pieces of stone-like material. They can be made if the liquid bile contains too much bile salts, cholesterol or bilirubin. Bile is made in liver and it helps with digestion. Gallstones are usually diagnosed by endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP). It is a combination of x rays and an endoscope. That long, flexible tube that you swallowed is called endoscope. Through that tube doctor was able to see inside your stomach, and that’s how s/he diagnosed you with gallstones. There are few possible complications of ERCP, which are pancreatitis, bleeding and infection. However, you would already know if you had any of those complications.