Hello. I adopted a dog a month ago and this girl I met told me that I can find everything that I need on this site. So here I am. The thing is, I adopted a dog who is diagnosed with epilepsy. I felt sorry for him cause nobody wanted to take him because of his disease. He is adorable. He is with me for only a month and I already can’t imagine a day without him. What I think is a bit strange is that he didn’t have a single seizure since he is with me. Could it be that he was falsely diagnosed? Can he have epilepsy without the seizures?

Umm…yes. I think it is very possible that in the initial phase of the disease dogs do not have seizures. They often have no signs of the disease whatsoever.

I even know one dog owner who has been dealing with his dog’s epilepsy for years and only once did he see his dog having a seizure.

I think that’s actually quite common.

There isn’t a cure for this. Once you discover your dog has it, you will need to just get used to it.

Take your dog to the vet regularly, give him his prescribed medicines and he should be ok.

Hey there…

I was just about to say that this is not possible when I read Dalmatian lover post. Really? This is common? Never had a clue.

My friend told me a couple of days ago while we were talking that this is not possible. When I read about this I am not even sure do I understand dog’s epilepsy :/

All that I do know is that epilepsy simply refers to repeated seizures, and seizures may occur as one-time event. It can have different causes. It can repeat over and over again, over a period of time. I hope that I could help you!

Hey.

It is true that a lot of people don’t understand the epilepsy.

But I know that dog who is diagnosed with epilepsy can have it without any seizures, basically without having any symptoms. This can be really bad and huge deal.

I know that seizures are helpful and sometimes they can save your dog’s life, but in some cases like they do not exist.

When you see that your dog is acting strange you need to react soon.

But you also need to know that there are many things that can cause a seizure in dog. Just because your dog is having a seizure that doesn’t meant he has epilepsy.

Hey guys,

I don’t know a lot about epilepsy either, but I do know that the only symptoms are actually these seizures.  So Dalmatian Lover, I don’t think that his dog can have epilepsy without having any seizures. They might be happening rarely in its initial phase, especially  since his dog is still very young. I’ve heard that there are some medications which could make the time distance between his seizures a lot bigger. I think that is the only medication there is out there. I like the fact that you took the dog even knowing that he has epilepsy, that’s so sweet of you.

Lola, you are really a sweetheart.

You took this dog partly because he has epilepsy, and that almost never happens. People usually leave their dogs after they find out that they have this disease.

I can tell you this: it cannot be treated. I mean, you can treat it, you can affect the timing of his seizures, but you can never heal it.

I don’t think that your dog or any dog can have epilepsy without seizures, since seizures are the main symptom of epilepsy, if there are any others.

Assuming that your dog is still very young since you adopted him a month ago, I believe that is why you haven’t seen him having seizures yet.