Last week I noticed my clitoris was itchy and a little swollen, and there was some white buildup around it (which I've never had before). I did a little reading online and thought maybe it was a yeast infection, but I don't have any strange discharge, in fact it's drier than normal (could it still be a yeast infection?). Also, I researched genital herpes but the itching has lasted almost a week and there aren't any lesions or outbreaks, although today I noticed the itchiness has moved to the outer area to the sides of the vaginal opening and that it's a little bit rashy - could this be from hair removal? I just had a ob/gyn exam a few weeks ago and everything was fine. Suggestions? Thanks!

I'm also having the same problem. I'm wondering if there is a way to help improve vaginal gland health. Can this also be a hormone imbalance issue.

Please let us know what you learn.

Im having the same problem...let me ask you guys sumthing...Have any of you have abortion? UTI's?or been on birth control (the ring)???

I HAVE ALSO BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM FOR A LITTLE OVER A YR. THE DOCTOR FINALLY CHECKED FOR STD'S THE OTHER DAY (HAVEN'T GOT THE RESULTS BACK YET) DON'T KNOW WHY, I HAVE BEEN MARRIED AND FAITHFUL TO THE SAME MAN FOR ALMOST 20 YRS, AND HIM TO ME. IT IS STRANGE, MYCLITORIS ITCHES AND HAS A WEIRD TOILET PAPERY DISCHARGE. OTHER THAN THAT THERE IS NO ITCHING OR DISCHARGE BELOW MY CLITORIS. ALSO IT DOES NOT GO AWAY, I MEAN IT IS FINE FOR A FEW HOURS RIGHT AFTER MY SHOWER BUT SOON IT IS BACK. I HAVE RECENTLY FOUND OUT THAT VASELINE OR HYDROCORTISONE OINTMENT ( NOT CREAM ) MAKES IT GO AWAY, BUT IF I STOP USING IT IT IS BACK. NO PREGNANCIES IN THE LAST 10 YRS, OR ABORTIONS AND I HAD MY TUBES CUT TIED AND BURNED. DID ANY OF YOU FIND OUT WHAT THIS WAS YET? MY DR SAYS AS LONG AS MY RESULTS COME BACK NEGATIVE HE IS GOING TO SEND ME TO A DERMATOLOGIST BECAUSE HE JUST DOESN'T KNOW

hello ladies, well i have been experiencing the same thing for like a day, but it had happened to me before when i was younger, so i looked around on the web searching for some kind of answer and this is what i came across:

(1) alice,

i have been experiencing pain in my clitoris and generally in this area. It's a sharp pain that happens with the lightest touch, crossing my legs, or from wearing tight pants. I've never had this before and i'm wondering what it is. Also i've noticed the hood of the clitoris when pulled back, you can see like an inner layer of skin. Please i'm very worried, can you tell me what these may be? thanx

(2)
Dear Alice,

Is there anything that can be done for clitoral pain? I have a painful clitoris that swells, itches, and hurts throughout the month. I have had pain with this for years now and no doctor can find anything wrong with it. The only physical evidence is tiny white specks of discharge way back under the "hood." But if I pull back to look to see if there is anything wrong, it hurts immensely for days afterward. It interferes with my sex life with my husband because of the fear of pain if he touches the area. PLEASE let me know if there is a condition that this is related to or if there is any kind of cream that can minimize the pain. I have tried several kinds of Vagisil type treatments, but they do not help. Thank you.

(3)
Hey Alice,

I have been having twinges of pain in my clitoris and just got over a UTI. Meds for 10 days. I think it's from my jeans being too tight there, but sometimes it pains for no reason, even laying down. Just started in the last 2 weeks, seems to be fine when wearing sweats or more comfortable clothing. I have never heard of pain in the clitoris before and can't find anything on it.

Dear Readers,

A happy, healthy "joy button" or clitoris is a delight to press, caress, nibble, or rub, but one that is irritated and sore can send electric jolts of pain through the body at the slightest touch. A brief anatomy lesson can help to explain how and why this can happen. The clitoris is made up of three main parts:

The Glans (a.k.a. the tip or head of the clitoris) This little ball of erectile tissue is located directly above the opening of the urethra and directly below the pubic bone. Depending on an individual woman's anatomy and her state of sexual arousal, the glans may or may not be visible. When women become sexually aroused, the erectile tissue in the glans becomes engorged (swollen), much like the penis, and increases in size and sensitivity.

The Shaft
The clitoris narrows directly behind the glans and continues back into the body, where it meets with the nerve bundle that transmits the incredible signals that the glans receives.

The Hood
Both the glans and shaft of the clitoris are covered with this fold of skin that is actually the upper part of the labia. The hood seems to protect the clitoris from too much direct stimulation. When a woman is not sexually aroused, or when a woman is in high arousal, the glans retreats under the hood and is out of sight.

The hood of the clitoris contains glands that produce a lubricating fluid called sebum, which allows the hood to move smoothly back and forth over the glans and the shaft of the clitoris. When sebum accumulates, it turns into a white, cheese-like substance called smegma. Smegma, in turn, if it is not washed away with frequent bathing, can harden and rub between the hood and the shaft similar to a grain of sand under an eyelid — the result is an irritated clitoris that can produce incredible pain at the merest movement. Tight jeans or pressure from sexual stimulation can be excruciating. Accumulations of smegma can also cause the skin of the hood to adhere (stick) to the shaft and glans (similar to what can happen with a man who has foreskin). These clitoral adhesions can cause pain and irritation as well.

Usually, frequent bathing and good hygiene can prevent or resolve this problem, but some women may have narrow openings to their clitoral hood that make it harder to wash away built-up secretions. If you have recurrent episodes of clitoral pain, you may want to try soaking in a steamy tub and gently moving the skin around the clitoris back and away from the glans — don't tug or forcibly retract the hood since this can cause further pain and irritation. These gentle "stretches" can, over time, widen the opening of the hood, allowing more freedom of movement for both pleasure and washing.

For a few women, "do-it-yourself" measures are not enough. Gynecologists might remove adhesions and/or stretch the opening of the clitoral hood after using a local anesthetic to first numb the genital region. If diligent bathing and gentle hood massage do not relieve the pain, talk with your gynecologist about the possibilities of a "stretching" procedure, among other options. Remember, minutes spent maintaining good clitoral health can pay you back with hours of indescribable pleasure.

Alice

i got this information from goaskalice

Sounds like you girls have vaginal yeast infections, or vaginal thrush. I recommend going to Walmart and buying the store brand three day treatment. If symptoms persist, time to go see a doc =) Good luck.

I have seen my doctor four times for this problem, check for STDs and though I had a yeast infection, she claims that is not my problem but has offered no solution. I have a thick cloudy discharge. I am so annoyed and scared.

Hello Ladies!
I've had this same condition for numerous years. At first I couldn't figure out what the irritation was. The way I figured it out was to take a wet Q tip & pull the hood back. then I saw all the white lint-y looking stuff. I had my gyno wet a Q tip & see it & she said it was yeast.
I dont get too much yeast in my vaginal area, just in the clitoral area. I tried using a whole tube of monostat just on that area every night till the tube was gone. Guess what? it came back. I find the only thing I can do is do a regular cleaning with a wet Q tip. Otherwise, it'll start to build up and get irritated...then I have to go in & clean it out, but it then gets stuck up in the "V" area where it's really hard to get out.
I guess I've just learned to "live with it" & keep it cleaned out. I'm not happy that any of you ladies have this, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who suffers w/this problem.
If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to them.

Hello Women --
I've been experiencing this for YEARS and finally tonight it was so bad, I decided to do some more research on it. This is what I've noticed/been diagnosed with, etc. I was diagnosed with HSV2 about 6 years ago -- from my husband, who was my then-boyfriend, who got it from a woman he was dating for awhile. I had a horrible outbreak, the whole nine yards, with lesions, flu-like symptoms, aches, fever, etc. Then, over time and suppressive therapy for about a year, the outbreaks -- with a full-on lesion -- happened thankfully only about once a year. But this burning itchy clit thing started and it was hard not to relate the two. I went to a bunch of docs, and after doing boric acid vaginal suppositories and other fun experiments, my midwife told me quite simply that it was a external yeast infection. I have once had the internal cottage cheese yeast infection and this is so far from it, that it was hard to believe, but she prescribed me a combination cream that included mystatin (sp?) and something else that my gm re-prescribed as clotrimazole-hc 1-2.5% topical cream. It has to be specially mixed at Kaiser at their compounding pharmacy, but it does after a few applications provide relief.
I waver between whether or not this is a herpes outbreak or an external yeast infection, but I tend to notice that MOST of the time that I have RED wine or around my period, it flares up. It starts as a mild itching, and then it gets SUPER ITCHY and then sometimes I scratch and then it burns. Fun fun fun. And I would say that 99% of the time, it's right around the hood of my clit and sometimes extends to outer vulva, but never really internal. Ice helps too, but I work at home, otherwise it'd be ridiculous to walk around with ice cubes up my pants during the day :-)
So, please others post any relief or theories.
THANKS!

Hey I dont know what is going on my vagina itches so bad sometimes and i dont know what to do about it any suggestions?????

I struggled with a year of yeast infections after a round of antibiotics.  I tried every OTC and prescription med available and never got relief.  I read about a product online called ProPHresh and decided "what the hell?".  It is an expensive probiotic found at Wal Mart or whatever in the girl stuff aisle.  Well.. it worked.  Not right away of course but after a month or so of taking a pill everyday I finally got relief.  They also have a gel which is supposed to neutralize your vag's PH... don't know if that's what it does or not but it works too.  I tried to duplicate the results with my own blend of pro biotics before but it didn't work.  This stuff did.  Now of course it's expensive but when you get to the point I was at you don't care what it costs to fix it.  After about 4 months I actually was able to wean off of the pills and now I just get them or the gel when there's too much sex or it gets hot or it's around my period and things start to feel a little funny.  I hope this helps people here.  I don't claim to be an expert and I'm sure that everyone's body is different but this was my experience.  Later!

hi everyone, i had this similar problem too, itching swollen clit and worse, i used potassium permanganate(purplish black crystals) only one time and it worked unbelievably fast, just put very small amount in boiled water(it's kills all the bacteria) until it purplish pink and wash as many times as u need, and 'cause it leaves brown stain on hands u can use lemon to wash it, check the wikipedia on POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE, it really works, goodluck all

I've noticed that the week that I'm on my period or around the end that my clit becomes super itchy to the point that I bruise it with all the scratching! I really don't think this is a yeast infection since it lasts about as long as my period and only comes around when I'm on my period. I do have the white "lint-y" around the hood if I pull it back. I think that the person that wrote about the "lint" drying and rubbing and becoming irritated is spot on. I'm going to go with the suggestion of pulling it back and cleaning really well when on my period and see if the itch stops. Thanks for the suggestion and answer to the itch!

Guest wrote:

Hello Ladies!

How do you clean yourselves ? who need a Q-tip to clean your clit? Just stand up under the shower open your vagina lips wash with water, pull the clitoris hood back and let the water fall and wash it. That is not hard to do, at least I have no problem doing it. While under the shower spray inside your vagina with water and stick your finger inside while the water is flowing and take out all the white discharge and you are clean and good to go. 

Hii.... I am experiencing some itching and whitei discharge around the V area and clitoria if thats what u call it... im not sure which doc to consult..its been there for a week then it went off and now its back again. this happens right after i got my periods. im wondering if its bcoz i use diff types of pads each time i have my periods. Do u think so? Can u tell me if i shld see a gyno first or a dermatologist? thank you so much.