I know about smegma...the substance that builds up between the lips and under the clitoris hood. Question is, are we supposed to remove it when we see it? Or does it go away on its own. I had smegma buildup under the hood of my clitoris and it made my clit SO itchy. Once I cleaned it out, the itching went away. So does that mean it's not supposed to stay and we clean it? How much is too much smegma?

Hi there

Smegma is indirectly as a result of poor hygeine. Here is some info for you -

In females, smegma is found between the labia, the lips which protect the vagina, and around the clitoral hood, which is at the top of the labia minora.

What causes smegma?

Smegma is caused by shredded skin cells, largely dead epithelial cells, mixing with skin oil secretions, such as sweat and naturally-produced lubricants.

Smegma may build up if it is not washed away. This may cause problems, thus good personal hygiene is necessary to avoid such problems.

Problems with smegma build upIf smegma is allowed to build up it may begin to smell. It also may provide a place where bacteria can breed.

In females if there is a build-up of smegma, the clitoral hood may stick to the shaft and glans of the clitoris. This also may be painful.

Prevention of smegma build upSmegma can be prevented by washing the genitals with warm water at least once a day.

Despite the advice of regular washing, it is advised that you do not wash your genitals with strongly-perfumed soap or shower gel, or use deodorants or other such products, as this may lead to irritation.

Good luck

I just use plain old Safeguard soap and make sure that I get all the areas where loose folds of skin are. If no one ever taught you those areas need to be washed then you were also probably never told about douching. Google some info, and good luck.

you dont need no fancy product or tips you just have to get in the shower with plain soap [it can be generic ]and wash your whole body including your vagina thats all plain and simple and do it regularly

Douching gives you yeast infections ...

All you have to do is pull back your clitoral hood in the shower and gently wash your clit with warm water and your fingers. However, if you wash your genitals daily (including your clit), then the buildup of smegma is decreased. You do not need soap as soap can cause that area to get dry and irritate it.

You need soap, anyone using just warm water is not good hygeine

You shouldn't use any soap or shower gels or anything on your genitals. Water should be enough to get rid of smegma and keep your genitals clean. Just wash between any folds, pull back the clitoral hood.
And you don't really need to douche. Certainly not all the time. Ask your doctor about it.

Water is not enough. You need a good mild soap to kill harmful bacteria and odors. Water does not kill bacteria and germs.

Using soap can harm your ph balance and can cause yeast infection and bad odor...

Here the thing... I DON'T have poor hygiene as, I take a shower every morning and night... saying that may be offensive. I've had that under the hood on my clit my whole life and I always wash it with feminine wash very light scent and this always comes back! It doesn't even have much of an odor nor does it itch or hurt, but the c**p is embarrassing to myself because I know it builds up and my fiance honestly never sees it nor notices, hence the reason I do clean. It has no odor I just know it's there because I ALWAYS investigate myself and in no weird way by any means! I only do that because of how popular cancer or stds are now days you just never know no matter how safe and or loyal you may be. My doctor also taught me to never be ashamed to check areas and deep secretions to be aware of yourself and changes if you see it you will know. I always have had this and I wash there generously and also gently I am BIG on hygiene and ALWAYS have been but I can't get rid of this stuff under my hood... and I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to cleaning it deep with my finger up under there because the longer I look at it I get a weak stomach only because it's so sensitive under there it feels like it shouldn't be touched up in that crease so then I start getting weak in my belly... it's very deep but a tiny amount I cannot stop this but I've never had a odor besides sweating of course if I've been busy outdoors or a simply period smell but by any means any woman knows a change of smell when it comes to her cycle, though nobody else smells if if that makes sense. I have never had a STD and only have a yeast infection if prescribed antibiotics but doctor gives me a few antifungal pills before that goes "too far" . My point is I am very clean but this stuff is there... what do you do even if you are clean!? I can't prove how big of a hygiene freak I am or that I do clean it without somehow showing that without being weird! Lol I'm so sorry to sound odd but I would like to know! Please

Your vagina is actually self cleaning and your vulva doesn't need soap. You may want to look up some health articles about vaginal health. As stated above soap with dry out, irritate, and or cause ph imbalances.

Hi. I have had the same symptoms for at least 2 years now and I shower every day, thorough cleaning and everything. It still hasn't disappeared yet. :( Am I doing something wrong?

The person who said it was about having poor hygiene, yes, that could be a reason for anyone to have a lot of smegma, but that doesnt mean its the only cause. Think of it as anywhete else on your body. You shed dead skin cells and your vagina is self cleansing. Particles can get caught in the folds and build up even throughout the day. Some women have more smegma than others. Maybe a suggestion would be everytime you use the toilet, wipe well, maybe with a damp cloth or with feminine hygiene products that keep your vaginas pH balanced.

hahaha honey you aren't even supposed to use douches. They're super bad for your vagina ;)