I’ve been struggling with depression for several years now and after changing through several antidepressants, Effexor finally worked for me and I somewhat pulled through. However, now I’m in the process of weaning off Effexor and I’ve again started having problems with my sleep.

No matter how tired I get, falling asleep is extremely hard, sometimes impossible, and my doctor suggested I start taking Rozerem, a sleep aid that should help me with falling asleep. What worries me though is that I don’t want to get addicted to another medication, so is Rozerem addictive?

Hello June,

rozerem isn't addictive in a sense benzodiazepine medications such as Ambien or Xanax are and that is probably it's biggest positive. You can't develop physical tolerance or dependence while taking Rozerem.

But, similar to any other sleep aid, you can get used to it mentally. When I had to stop taking it, it was simply the fear that I won't fall asleep if I don't take anything that kept me awake. One solution I found is melatonin supplement - it's a hormone our bodies produce to regulate sleep and it can really help when medications throw your natural sleep pattern out of whack.