Hi, I have an allergy problem. I have been allergic to fish and shellfish products all my life. After a number of tests the doctor said that the allergy reaction is caused by the proteins in the fish meat. I was wondering why this protein is different from the ones found in milk or meat. Why do I have allergy only to fish meat proteins, but not to all the proteins?

Hi, it is impossible to have an allergic reaction to all the proteins because the proteins are very important for our development. Proteins are made out of amino acids. These molecules are building blocks for ours cells. If you were allergic to all proteins you would probably die. Even though there are only about twenty amino acids every protein has a different combination. This means that the proteins from fish meat are very different from all the rest of the proteins. So it is this specific combination of amino acids that causes the allergic reaction. I hope that this clears up things for you.