Hello all! I am 26, male. I have a strange problem with my left testicle. It looks as if some veins got swollen in there. They look like a bunch of worms, that it scars me sometimes to look at it, as they are very noticeable. Sometimes they disappear but I can feel them anyway. I haven’t been to a doctor for ages, and I honestly wouldn’t want to if it is not necessary. Does anybody know what these swollen veins could be?

This sounds familiar to me. I also had those veins noticeable. I went to a doc because I had another problem. The testicle with the veins started to shrink, so I got so scared, as I know that if a testicle shrinks, it could cause fertility. First I thought that it was torsion but the doc told me I had variocele. Variocele happens to 15-20 percent of post-pubertal males. The spermatic cord is made up of blood vessels, lymphatic vessels, nerves, and vas deferens. If the valves that regulate bloodflow from these veins become defective, blood does not circulate out of the testicles efficiently, which causes swelling in the veins above and behind the testicles. You should definitely visit a urologist and have a scrotal ultra sound or something.

Hi my son is 11 and he came to me all scared he thought he had cancer he is prob just starting to go threw puberty his right testical is bigger than his left and his left tesical when he showed me there were all these veins it looks like varacose veins and it is all lumpy he said it hurts when he touches it...he is not growing any hair yet so he is prob just starting to go threw puberty i mentioned bringing him to the drs but he wants to waite to see how it feels it looks like it is there to stay though...just wondering if this is normal for an 11 year old or if he can have a real problem...thank you

Look, although varicose veins are usually not dangerous, they also don’t appear in children younger than 15 years of age.

Does the small testicle looks like it’s shrinking or is the size difference between the scrotums normal (usual)?

Varicocele in scrotum occur when the blood flow that travels from testicles in the direction of the heart gets reversed and cause the veins (through which the blood travels) to enlarge and dilate. The reversal occurs when the valves within the veins don’t work right. Varicoceles usually occur on the left side, just like in your son’s case.

Varicecele may and may not cause pain and discomfort. They are treated only when they become symptomatic and start causing trouble. Considering you son is 11 years old and does not belong to the typical age group, I reckon he should be checked by a pediatric urologist.

It is very nice that you are teaching and letting (many parents don’t) your child to make his own decisions, and this will certainly help him a lot in the future when he grows up but now he is still young to make this kind of decisions. I think you two should see a doc and see what s/he may have to say about the veins in your son’s scrotum.

Look this is probably starting to sound like a broken record, but I am 16, and I have what feels like a swollen spermatic chord, or at least, something in that vicinity. I can feel the same structure on the other side, but it's not swollen. It used to hurt, sometimes by itself, but always when pressure was put on the vicinity. Now it only hurts when pressure it put on it (the chord or whatever it is) but definitely not as bad. The testicle itself is a little tender, at least, when it is tapped as opposed to the other, it hurts more, but there is no swelling or lumps that I can distinguish. My questions are, could the pain come and go, or mostly just go in a varicele(sp?) vein? Please reply as this has got me real worried about cancer.

i seem to have the same problem. will this cause infertility?