I prefer walking, but I am wondering whether it's better to walk 5 miles or run it? Do I get the same workout and fat burn? And what is better for your joints and your heart?

If you ask me, walking and jogging is the same thing. Most people tell you to work out by time, so if you jog 3-4 miles, you will finish in say, 30 minutes. If you walk 3-4 miles, you will finish in say, 60 minutes. That means the person who jogged will be chilling for 30 minutes while the person who walked is still working out. If you jog, you exert more energy, but you work out shorter and if you walk, you exert less energy, but you work out longer.

time to time running is more effective for fat loss. Distance to distance, brisk walking is more effective and maintainable for fat loss.

you have to walk a very long distance to burn the same amount of calories as with running. Walking is good for fat loss and it does not brake down muscle as running does.

When running your body may use your "quick fuel" carbohydrate stores but when walking you body will most likely burn fat stores. Make sure you are in 60-65% of your max heart rate during cardio for optimum fat burn. Going at a higher heart rate will burn the carbohydrates that are available not fat (depending on the length of the workout).