Is running a good way to lose weight? What about walking? Which is better? I'm at the point where I'm running about 3 miles five times a week.

Its a great way to lose weight! It works for me

Running > walking for weight loss.

Running > walking for weight loss.
just to clarify. You can burn more calories / hr. running than you can with walking (because you're moving faster when you're running).

to burn the same amount of calories you need to walk the same distance which you run, and as running is quicker it would probably take you twice as long.
To walk to lose weight it would also be a case of power walking to get your heart rate up high enough.

Running > walking for weight loss.
just to clarify. You can burn more calories / hr. running than you can with walking (because you're moving faster when you're running). What? My answer wasn't specific enough? You spend more energy running than walking (i.e. burn more calories)

Running gets the heart rate up a lot higher, and the heart rate is elevated even after exercise - I think this effect would be more significant in running and thus you would burn more calories even after the exercise is over. Right?

Running does a pretty good job of helping me to maintain my weight. The only downside is I know I do a good job of exercising so I tend to eat more. :DOH:

I run to stay in shape, but it's an added benefit that it helps me maintain a certain weight.

If you're enjoying your running stick with it. Once you hit a plateau in your weight you can always increse the distance. Good luck!