Do you figure out the distance and add it in your miles per week? Or do you consider it a separate run and not add it toward your distance total?

I don't do speedwork on a track, so I'm never sure exactly how far I've gone on speed day.

When I do do it, I calculate the total distance of the speedword done, then add it to the log, with a notation that it is speedwork

My speedwork is usually tempo runs, so I just keep track of my splits and enter those along with the time of the total run and a notation that it was a tempo run.

On intervals day, my workout looks about like this ::

1 mile warm up

1/2 mile loop hard then 1/4 mi. recovery for 6 times.

1 mile cool down

I'll make two separate entries into the log, one for warm up, cool down and the recovery jogs and then a separate entry for the fast 1/2 mi. repeats.

Say my average for the 1/2 mi. repeats is 3:02, then I'll enter 3 miles @ a 6:04 pace into the log and make a notation of what my individual splits were.

Easy. If I run a faster run, I write: ran faster in the comments box.

If I run a tempo run, I log the warm up and cool down miles separately from the tempo portion of the run.

Entry 1 :: 2 miles of w/u and c/d @ whatever pace

Entry 2 :: 4 miles of tempo running @ faster pace

I make separate entries so that when I look at the logs and graphs later, the faster running times aren't tainted by warming up and cooling down.

:1:
Now that I have a watch that keeps splits I enter those in the comments section as well.

total distance. Just note the speedwork, and the particulars of the workout.

:1:
Taint my speedwork with both warm up and cool down runs

Glad i scrolled down here before I asked! I just did some speedwork: 4 @ 400m walking in between. I went out too fast to do the recovery jog in between, so i walked. I ended up with a mile total running and that was what I recorded in my log. Now if I had jogged in between, I was planning on recording that time and distance too.

this is the first time I've ever tried speedwork. I was inspired by yesterday's 5k. I did better than i expected to, and figure I can definitely improve with speedwork and getting some more good base miles. I ran an 8:18 pace at the 5k yesterday, I'm guessing I can bring that down some with some more experience.

An 8:18 pace is awesome, keltic! Throw in perhaps one speedwork session per week and I think you'd find your self dropping down into the 8:00 minute pace in no time...

Keep it up!!

That is basically what I do also.