Finally went to an orthopedic doctor for the right knee pain I've experienced on a few runs of late. X-rays were negative. He ruled out bone or ligment issues. Thinks is just cartlege (sp) rubbing the wrong way due too much mileage (too soon). (He also ruled out ITBand problems.) He gave me a cortisone shot and told me to lay off running for 3 - 4 days. :x

Therefore, I'm going to hit the eliptical trainer (hard) for a few sessions to try and keep up my cardio. Is there a way to draw a corelation between mileage/time on the eliptical trainer vs. time/mileage on the road or dreadmill? Is a minute on the trainer equal to a minute on the treadmill for cardio purposes? I'm use to running ~ 9 minute miles for extended periods of time (30 - 60 minutes) - What type of workout on trainer would equate?

I'm not capable of answering that, but I do know that if you follow their little preprogrammed routine, it can really kick your butt! The going forward, stop, reverse cardio sessions will leave you sore.

I can't give you a good answer either. Just go for time and intensity. I hope your knee heals soon.

I am not sure either. I love the elliptical trainer, too. It's the only thing that is close to running and the only cardio machine that doesn't make me want to end it all. :x

I would say to just go by feel. If it doesn't feel as strenuous as running then up your resistance or speed. If it feels worse then slow down.

Howeverrrrrrrrr, you will most likely have more issues with keeping your heart rate up high enough if you are a good runner. I have taken to not holding on and instead moving my arms like I'm running to get my heart rate up higher.

What did the doctor say might be the problem with your knee? I guess I'm just a little confused about the cartilage rubbing the wrong way part. Does that mean you have some cartilage that's frayed and is flapping around in there? And just as a friendly suggestion, try to never, ever get a cortisone shot if you can help it. Sure, it takes the pain away and sometimes reduces the inflammation, but there are other less invasive procedures. As for the running to elliptical calculation. I'd go with either perceived exertion or heart rate.

I agree with Flarunner, 100 %. I can't believe that the doctor doesn't really know what is going on and gave you a cortisone shot! :umno: With all my problems the last 7 months, I have never recieved a cortisone shot even though it may have helped to reduce the pain. I would be worried about the shot masking the real problem and injurying your knee worse. Be careful running on it for a while. I would also look for a doctor that diagnoses the problem before giving you a band aid. Just my :twocents:

sounds like another clueless orthopedic -- i have seen two for knee problems and both were clueless, altho neither gave me the old quick fix injection. MRIs and xrays were negative--one told me i had runners knee.

i found most of my help/healing here: julstro.com

good luck.

A 3-4 day layoff is not that long, so I would at least take 2 of those days for complete rest or crosstraining w/ non-weightbearing exercise.

But that's just me.

I did nothing at all yesterday. Was going to attempt weight training tonight with some eliptical trainer work afterwards.

I use the elliptical machine when my legs are shot and need a rest. I love that there's less impact on the knees.

I find that it takes me longer to do the distance on the elliptical though. I do 12-13 minute miles on it. I get a good workout all the same, but only rely on them when I just can't do anymore with the running.