Hello everyone and greetings to all of you. I am totally new at this site so I hope that I will be able to ask you one question like I should. I mean, I really hope that you are going to understand me. OK, I will cut long story short and I will tell you that I am diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia. I don't even know what this is since my doctor didn't told me. At least he didn't told me to understand, I don't understand medical terms like many of you do, I guess. Can you tell me what this is and how dangerous is it? 

Hi Constantin,

It is a very fast heartbeat that originates in the upper chambers of the heart. 

It can be fatal - but lets not go there yet.

It can be caused by a number of things such as excessive caffeine, heavy smoking, excess alcohol use, or if you are very tired.

You might feel lightheaded or a rapid pounding in your chest.  You could lose consciousness, be short of breath, have chest pain, or feel lightheaded.

It is most common in women.

Talk to your doctor about it and what he thinks is causing it.

Good luck.

Hello there medic - dan. Thank you very much. I didn't hope that I will get the answer that soon.
Um, now it is hard to tell - lets not go there yet :) No, joke aside now I am extremely worried. You made me worried with this sentence. What this means it can be fatal? In which chaces can it be fatal and is there any chance to do something about this?
Today I felt really strange, I just don't know how to explain this. Like i Had some slow motion scenario in my head.
Because of this now I am scared.
Please, can you tell me what can I do about this.
Thank you.

You need to talk to your doctor. We don't know anything about your history.

Yes, worst case it can be fatal - you could die.

A pacemaker may be an option, but again, talk to your doctor.

Hello. Yes, I am aware that I need to talk to my doctor as soon as possible. I am going to talk to him tomorrow because he was at the vacation. About my heart history and generally history of the diseases, I never had some HUGE problems but I had one small, silent heart attack three years ago. Than my doctor told me that I don't need a pacemaker because there is no damage at my heart. I listened to him and this never happened again. I was fine until now.

Hello guys. I just came to inform you. After 10 days of pain my doctor finally found a time for me. I went to talk to him and he did some analyses and tests as well. While i was talking to him he told me that I should not be that scared because supraventicular​ tachycardia is not that dangerous and that is can be treated simple with some medications. Of course, he told me that I am not his first patient with this issue and that I should be calm totally. He will prescribe me some pills as soon as he finds out what exactly is my problem. Is this really the story?

Good day everyone. I would not agree with him completely. It can be OK and without any dangers if you treat it. If you left it untreated, that can be the problem.  The danger can manifest with quick heartbeats and that means that heart rate is 150 or more. It can happen for months and years, and those beats can be very fast. As long as you have measured it and is sure it's atrial, and it doesn't last for several hours, it's normal. But in any other case it can cause a problems for you, so be on alert.

Hello friends.  Here is what I know about it. Supraventricular tachycardia is a series of rapid heartbeats that begin in or involve the upper chambers (atria) of the heart. This stage can cause the heart to beat very rapidly or erratically. As a result, the heart may beat inefficiently, and in that case your body may receive an inadequate blood supply. There are three major types of SVT including: atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter and atrial tachycardia and paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia.

This issue can be very serious so your doctor needs to prescribe medications for you as soon as possible.

Good luck.