i recently have a problem where for no apparent reason my heart goes from a resting beat of between 60/70bpm to over 140bpm.i have given up smoking,caffine,chocolate,alcohol and have been put on betablockers,but the problem persists.i am very active and this causes me no problems.several tests have been performed such as 24hr ecg,ecg,blood tests,and an echocardiogram[this showed a heart chamber wasn't working efficently]sometimes i also feel an abnormal heartbeat,which lasts a couple of seconds,then it returns to normal rate again.as this happens mainly in sleep,i have been rushed into hospital twice,and a paramedic told me he thinks i may have supra ventricular tacycardia?when experiencing palpatations i feel weak,clamy,tight chest,cold and i become extremely pale in the face and lips.also i feel pins and needles in my hands and feet.these attacks can last anything from 30mins to a whole day before improving.i am scared as i am only 25 and have two babies under three years of age.can u help ?

HI! I have been found to suffer from supraventricular tachycardia and some of the things you describe remind me of my palpitations and dizziness. What did your doctor say about it?
I haven’t been given any medications because they told me that it wasn’t SO serious but they showed me how to relax and how to slow my heart rate and everything starts happening. I wasn’t found to have any additional underlying problems, so I guess that was a good thing. I suppose it was due to too much caffeine, smoking and stress.
Most of my attacks very short, lasting for about 10 minutes when the heart would start pounding real fast and when I couldn’t reach for air.
I had all sorts of tests, blood, urine, ecg, echo and everything was fine, so I just learned how to relax and minimize the stress. I did those exercises they showed me with coughing, breathing, holding muscles and the pounding would just stop. I haven’t had any additional problems but I did cut back on cholesterol, included a lot of fruits and vegetables, started exercising and cut down on coffee but not the smokes (unfortunately).

Anyway, I hope they will find what is wrong with you real soon and I honestly hope you will get better. Good luck!

what you are currently experiencing is serious but not as serious as a heart attack. It may seem similar though. This has probably something to do with your work or your lifestyle. People suffering from this normally work in tense and stressful environments. They may not feel stressed, but subconsciously they are. What you need to do is stop thinking about work. Try to care less. If it isn't possible i would suggest you switch jobs.

I had the ablation procedure for Superventriclar Tachy. in 2000 by a Dr. Charles Swerlow . He is located at Cedar Sinai Hospital in the towers, the office is calledthe Heart Center of LA. He is one of the best in this field with degree from Stanford. I am feeling allot better and would suggest if you live in Los Angeles to get a work up done to ease your mind. Hope you are doing better and whenever you feel something is off go to ER right away. Who cares if others think it is something minor, you never know. Take care and be well!

Just want you to know you are not alone. I have SVT also , have for about 20 years I am 35 now. I do suffer from anxiety which is made worse by having this.. I too have had the battery of tests as well as ablation I do still have some svt s however less often. What I do find is that when I am stressed out I get alot of PVC s ( skipped beat feeling) I feel better reading this and knowing that I am not alone. I have read that a high percentage of people suffer some sort of arythmia in their lives at some time...
ps.. what helped me alot is to see a counsellor.... talk it out , put it to rest and move on with life and the symptoms will lessen...

Hi, im 19 yrs old and i was diagnosed with svt a little over a year ago after being rushed to the ER with a heartrate of 180bpm. I remember since i was in elementary school having these attacks-my heart pounding, sweating, feeling dizzy, my cheeks numb, shortness of breath. Sometimes they would last for a few minutes up to 3 hours was my longest. My mom always thought they were just panic attacks.I finally seen a cardiologist after going to the ER during a 2 hour attack and he said that i had SVT and i could either take medications for the rest of my life to try and surpress the symptoms, or have a catheter ablation-which i decided to do. The ablation was really quick, pretty painless and i have never had another attack again. The only thing now is that sometimes when i am just laying in bed my heart will start racing, usually in between 108bpm-120bpm, and i have no idea why. Also sometimes my heart will feel like it skips a beat several times throughout the day(palpitate), but it never starts pounding like it used to. I was seeing my cardiologist again and i had an event monitor on for a month, recording one of the attacks but they never called me after i turned the monitor in, and my parents insurance just recently ran out because i just turned 19 and finished school. I was trying to find something on here to help me out but i cant really find anything similiar. It scares me sometimes at night because i just lay there trying to go to sleep and my heart races for no reason-and this only happens only at night mainly. Other than that, i feel great-im glad i got the ablation!

hi i am 60 but have had svt for a few years,they(drs)have been trying to get me into hostpital for a few years,wel eventually i went into 'broadgreen hostpital'in liverpool for the ablation,and honestly i never felt a thing ,and that was two days ago i feel great for it, no more tablets or medication.i think alot of the worry about this opp is the'build up of anticipation'from someone afraid of 'going in'.over the years they said it could be stress alcohol ,work, allsorts of thing ,then they would suggest a cold bath,blow hard ,hold your breath all sorts again,my belief is sometimes these work for some and sometimes they dont .as regards what brings it on i dont think they know that niether but i will tell you after several visits into hostpital and going up to 180+ on the pulse and watching them watch me after they gave me 'adenizene?' and verapamil? and threatining me with the shocks the opp was REALLY EASYi just wish i knew how easy it was i was actually watching all the monitors while they were doing it..end result FANTASTIC 98 percent clear.yippee
any questions please ask.....

I also thought I was having panic attacks sporadically for most of my life, but finally learned that I suffered from SVTs after my heart basically stuck at 240 beats per minute and I suffered a mild heart attack at age 40. I had already had an echo and stress test, both normal, and had been told my heart was fine. My blood pressure has always run on the low side, so no one really felt like it was my heart before the heart attack. I now take 150mg Propafenone and 50mg Metoprolol daily. This controls the SVTs well. I recently tried dropping the Metoprolol (which is a beta-blocker) and the SVTs immediately returned at night. The combination of the 2 drugs seems to work the best. I've been told the drugs are safe for long-term use at the dosages I take, but that I could have ablation surgery if I wished, though the doctor feels I'm better off on the drugs for now.

Hello, I am 20 almost 21 and I have been having a problem with my heart rate being really high. 140 bpm I am not sure what is going on any advice? I do smoke. But for the most part I am pretty healthy. drink lots of water and walk and exercise a lot. its like my heart will start to race and then just to day I had a temp. of 102.6 and also threw up.It was like I couldn't catch my breath.tried drinking water and puked again, so I sipped on some ginger ale. finally I fell asleep and feel better. this is like the third time this has happened