My little brother had an accident where he hurt his head. He was rushed to the hospital and doctor told us that he suffered a major head trauma. I would like to know more about head injuries. Any information will be helpful. Thanks

I am sorry to hear that about your brother and I hope that he will be ok. I will provide you with some basic information and I hope that it will be helpful. Head injuries fall into two categories: external (usually scalp) injuries and internal head injuries. Internal injuries can involve the skull, the blood vessels within the skull, or the brain. An internal head injury could have more serious implications because the skull serves as the protection for the brain. Even a minor cut to the scalp can bleed profusely because the scalp is rich with blood vessels. The swelling that may appear on the scalp after a head blow results from the scalp veins leaking fluid or blood into the scalp and it may take days or even weeks to disappear. The brain is cushioned by cerebrospinal fluid. However, a severe blow to the head can knock the brain into the side of the skull or tear blood vessels. Any internal head injury can be serious and possibly life threatening and these include fractured skull, torn blood vessels, or damage to the brain itself.