My doctor wants me to have an insulin pump but I heard you gain a lot of weight if you have an insulin pump.  I have already lost 30 pounds so I don't want to gain it back.  I am hoping someone can reassure me that it won't happen.  If I will, waht can I do about it?

Hello Guest.  You have concerns about gaining weight on the insulin pump.  Some evidence has been shown that diabetics may gain weight while on the insulin pump.  This may be because the glucose get used more efficiently and the calories are utilized in the body.  However, you can watch your carbs and the response from the insulin pump.  If you find you are gaining weight, you can try to incorporate more exercise into your planning.  This can burn calories and help you maintain your weight.  There are many types of exercises you can do such as walking and swimming.  The best activity is the one you will enjoy and stick with.  Exercise is one of the best ways to use up excess glucose in your body, so you can avoid gaining weight.  You have more control over your blood sugars this way.

If you are a person with an insulin pump, what do you do to keep from gaining weight?  How much do you exercise to maintain your weight?

You'll definitely gain some weight, but maybe not a lot. With excersize and keeping your doses low, you should b able to keep off the most of it. Excersize is doubly good because it can help your dibetes be less extrem and possibly get you off of insulin all together. Besides, it'll be good for you, right? Mostly, you should listen to your doctor. What are you even doing here? Contact your doctor, and he/she will know a lot more than some people on the internet. Doctors know best, after all. Congrats on losing the thirty pounds, and I hope you continue that trend. Good luck with your insulin pump!