I am in a pickle and I need someone's help.  I am type 2 diabetic and have been for years and years.  I was 43 when I became diagnosed with diabetes.  It was the worst day of my life, but I have come to terms with it.  I have been on diabetic medicine for about 6 years, Metformin.  I lost some weight some last year about 25 pounds and I gained it back unfortunately.  I am wanting to lose the weight again and get into my size 16 jeans.  I have found out that I need to go on insulin.  I have heard from a couple of people that insulin makes you GAIN weight, which I don't want to do!  How do I avoid gaining weight because the doctor insists I need to go on it as soon as possible.  I have yet to fill the prescription until I know whether I will gain weight on it.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Can you offer any advice on how I can avoid gaining weight on it?  Will I gain weight on insulin at all and I am worrying over nothing? 

Hello, Guest.  I can see that you want to be healthy and maintain a weight that supports that.  You may or you may not gain weight if you go on insulin.  It isn't the fact that the insulin causes fat to form but it is whether there is excess glucose it utilizes and sends to the cells.  If the glucose isn't needed for energy, it will go into storage as fat tissue.  So if you want to combat that situation, you will need to control the carbs going into your body or you will need to increase your activity.  You will then be able to maintain or lose weight. 

How does other forum readers keep your weight controlled?