Hello! I have problems with urinary tract infection. I feel pain in my bladder, especially when urinating. I have also been exhausted and nervous last few days. When I went to see my doctor he said I should examine my urine and I did. The results showed numerous bacteria in my urine, so he prescribed antibiotics. He also said I should rest for few days. But, why did he tell me to only wear cotton underwear when suffering from UTI?

Hello! Urinary tract infections are the second most common type of infection in our body and it affects many people. Urine should be sterile, free of bacteria, fluids, salt and waste products. Most infections are caused by one type of bacteria called Escherichia coli, but microorganisms as Chlamydia and Mycoplasma may also cause UTI. It is important to wear cotton underwear since nylon underwear traps moisture near your body and prevent air circulation which causes intensive growth of bacteria. It is also important to keep clean, drink plenty of water and urinate frequently.