Is nitrofurantoin the first drug for treatment of uti? My doctor prescribed me this antibiotic without performing urine culture. I think that my infection is common and not complicated, because symptoms are not severe. I had uti two months ago, it was also mild as now, so I left it untreated and it went away. Is that the reason that I have to take nitrofurantoin?

Bacteria that attack urinary tract are sensitive on nitrofurantoin. The most common causal agent of uti is Escherichia coli, and it is susceptible on macrolid antibiotic nitrofurantoin. It is not uncommon that antibiotic is prescribed without performing urine culture, but only as empiric therapy. Urine culture is not always needed to be done, because it is known what antibiotics are useful against bacteria that can attack urinary system. As your infection is not complicated as you said, it should be completely cured with nitrofurantoin.