Hi friends.

Just right now I received the phone call from my aunt and she is extremely concerned about my uncle. He went to see his doctor today for some analysis, and he came back with diagnose, of course. It looks like that he is dealing with Stokes- Adams disease. I didn't know that older men can have this disease, at least, I didn't believe that it is common. Now, we are scared because we don't know how this condition will turn up. I want to know, can you tell me how common is stokes - adams disease among adult men?

Tnx! 

Hello dear.

A classic Stokes-Adams attack is a type of collapse without any warning, and it is also associated with loss of consciousness for a few seconds. There is also complete or third-degree heart block that is seen on the ECG during an attack, but on the other ECG abnormalities such as tachy-brady syndrome have been reported. I think that is not that common but it can happen to everyone. It is not that weird when it happens to older guy or younger guys as well. The most important thing in this case is to establish the treatment. It is the only helpful thing. 

Hey La Yi La,

You are actually quite lucky that your uncle was diagnosed with it on time and that he can start treating it now. Do you know that the mortality rate in people who are left undiagnosed is 50% in the first year after the first stokes adams attack has occurred?

Now, with the right treatment, he should be okay. It can be treated with medications but in most cases it ends up with a surgery in order to place a pacemaker inside the person's body. Once the pacemaker is in, there shouldn't really be any more worries about stokes adams disease.

Hey everyone,

This rarely affects older people, I mean, not so rarely but definitely a lot less than it affects younger people.

It is one of the most unpleasant diseases to have, not only for your uncle, but for the people around him as well, plus it is very dangerous. If I were him, I would consider having a pacemaker placed. It is the only solution that can completely fix his heart and turn this situation around. A pacemaker can fix his heartbeat at the very moment when it tries to change. This should prevent all the stokes adams attacks that would else occur.

My dad has a pacemaker placed because he has stokes adams disease. It isn't something that you can treat you know, once you have it, you are stuck with it for the rest of your life. He tried with different medications until he decided to have a pacemaker placed, medications didn't seem to help him a lot. It was hard for us at home, he would pass out from time to time and we didn't know what to do when it happens, we were so scared. Now since he got his pacemaker, he seems to be okay, no attacks have occurred so far.

Hello there. Personally, I don't know any older guy who was dealing with adams disease, but like you already know, this is something that you are dealing with to the rest of your life. In this condition, the normal heartbeat passing from the hearts upper to the lower chambers and it is interrupted. This usually results in a condition that is called a heart block and when the heart block occurs the heart rate usually slows considerably. In this case, it can result in inadequate blood flow to the brain and fainting as well. And unfortunately you can't heal it. 

Hey there. I don't believe that it is that common in older guys. This is actually a syndrome and you have to deal with it until the rest of your life. Stokes - adams syndrome is actually a periodic fainting spell in which there is a periodic onset and offset of blockage of heart due to disorder of heart rhythm that may last for seconds, days, hours or even weeks before the conduction returns.It can be treated with several medications, but in the worst case the surgery procedure is something that is very important and necessary. Doctors will tell you more about this.