Hi, I'm 30 years old and I have one dilemma that I would like resolved. Recently I have been having problems with my eyesight like double vision and blurred vision, and chills down my spine. My friend who’s also a medical technician at a local hospital told me that those might be the symptoms of multiple sclerosis. Now I know that he might have been pulling a rough joke on me but I’d still like someone to tell me what exactly causes the MS and what are the most common symptoms of multiple sclerosis, and can people as young as I am get MS at all?

Your friend may have been joking with you but he was right about one thing though, the main and the earliest symptoms of multiple sclerosis are related to eyesight problems, but that doesn’t have to mean that you necessarily have MS. Symptoms of MS, just like symptoms of any other disease can overlap and problems like problems with eyesight can have many causes, we always like to assume the most common causes for them. You didn’t mention the kind of lifestyle you have or the kind of work you do but problems with eyesight may as well be, and probably are caused by stress or exhaustion. Multiple sclerosis is a neurological disease of an unknown cause. There are many theories about its origin, it is generally thought that it is an autoimmune disease caused by a virus that changes human DNA triggering events that as the final outcome have the serious damage to the central nervous system. The main symptom is the neuroma of the optical nerve and when that happens it can be said with most certainty that the patient is suffering from MS. Other symptoms may include: generalized weakness, loss of senses, double and blurred vision, uncoordinated movements, vertigo, facial nerve paralysis etc. MS is more prevalent among women than men, and yes it can start as early as with 2 years of age but it usually starts after the age of 15. and it is not uncommon that men your age do get MS. If your symptoms get worse it is important that you ask for appropriate medical assistance from your doctor.