Do you use a GPS system?

If so, what brand?

What do like or dislike about it?

I'm thinking about buying a Timex GPS & need input.

I'm part of the Garmin collective. I really like the single unit and contrary to popular belief, it's really not that big. Prolly as much wrist space as two Ironman-Timexes side-by-side. I don't notice it at all. And it's a lot less than Timex GPS, the Garmin's can be found for under $120.

I think all GPS units lose the signal from time to time in some environments, but they do pick it up again and re-track from the last signal, so loss of information is pretty minimal. I can only think of a couple runs in the 9-months I've had mine where the satellites were so outta synch I lost half the run. Even on trails, it the tree cover isn't overhead all the time, I get solid enough signals to track decent data.

One thing I'm convinced of, but haven't read much on is that daily use of the GPS keeps the satellite recognition sharper. It seems like times I go without using it for a few days, it'll take 5-minutes to find a satellite versus the typical less than 1-min. And also, it might lose a signal a couple times during that same run. But when I use it day after day after day, it must keep more current data somehow and locks quicker.

Anyway, whichever one you choose, I think you'll find a new dimension to your running. I did at least. I used to be super conscious of my routes and where the mile markers were so I could tap the split button on my chrono. Now I don't even give it a thought since the GPS is taking all the splits automatically. It's pretty cool to literally, run "willy nilly, up the streets, down the streets and all over town" yet still get splits, pace and GPS maps out of it. :)

I'm a huge fan of my Timex bodylink, and the new ones are much smaller, but still, not as small as the Forerunner. (both are made by Garmin) Now that the Forerunner 301 is out with at HRM, I would consider it also. Just to add to the confusion, the Polar 625x is out with is also a S&D system that does NOT use satellite but has gotten great reviews. I'm really leaning towards using it also. (I love gadgets)

I've used my Timex on trails and haven't lost the signal. I've had moments where I've lost it, but when it finds the signal again, it updates and I haven't lost info.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you decide to go with the Timex, try al's gifte shoppe online. Great service, and the cheapest rates I've found.

Like: Accuracy
Dislike: Size of the receiver, battery usage