This might sound crazy but how do I force myself to slow down for my 22 mile run tomorrow morning??

I am shooting for a 9:39 Pace for my 50K in a month but all of my training runs of any distance have been about 8:20 or quicker.

All last week and this week I did not plan on looking at my watch until the end just trying to run on feel and I still ended up running that hard.

Any ideas or should I just trust my my body and let it dicated the pace?

IF you are wondering how I came up with a 9:39 pace, I decided that 5 hours was my goal and this is what i need.

Thanks Everyone,

I have the same problem on the long runs. My only suggestion is to carefully monitor you pace and force yourself to run really slow. Do you have one of the Timex GPS watchs or the Garmin watchs? Those would help you to know your pace for every mile.

I would much rather have to force myself to run slow for the first half and than to run comfortably for the first half and then suffer for the second half.

Forcing yourself to run slowly in training is really tough, but I bet it will pay off for the big run.

Good luck by the way. I am looking forward to hearing the details about that run.

My only complaint with my Garmin watch is that it doesn't accurately measure pace, except at the mile marks. I've seen mine vary the pace by as much as 5 minutes during a mile!

Couple ideas that work for me.. one is to start reeeal early in the morning. There is just no way I can get myself cranked up to any decent pace when I'm half asleep, which works well for me when it's a LSD run. And the second recommend is make it a trail run. Again, there is just no way to log miles over grass and hills at a normal road clip.
I hear ya, I'm the same way about 'forcing' a slow pace.

where do you wear your Garmin GPS, not watch
if on the wrist the arm swing can cause a discrepancy. i try to wear mine at the crook of the elbow to reduce this. also you can set the custom to show avg pace, and set the pace smoothing to maximum smooth.

all i can tell you is to make a constant effort to keep it slower. check the watch frquently, how do you measure your pace while actually running? or do you figure your pace out once you get home? if you have no measurement of live pace time do you use a HRM? is so then just run at a lower pulse. hope this helps, and good luck

The only way I can force myself to run a slow pace for long runs is to dwell on how slow I'm running. I have to make it seem like I'm crawling along. If there's people around, try pacing off of someone slower.

Alcohol the night before will slow you down

I just go with my HRM especially on the long runs. Once you figured out your target HR for your long runs (usually 65-75% mac HR), just stay within your target zone and your run should feel easier.

If you routinely run 8:20 pace, then stick with relatively close to 8:20 pace (perhaps a bit slower) and add some walking breaks to turn it into 9:39 overall. I would expect that you would do something similar in your 50K.

Well Ladies and Gentlemen,
I don't have all the fancy dancy electronics that some of you have. I have always relied on how my body felt. I think I did okay today.

I ended up at an 8:34 pace for the whole course. You can see the splits in the Run and Race reports.

I am feeling great although Mrs. Boiler says I looked real tired when I got home tonight.

Only 26 days to my 50K!