I keep hearing about Heart Rate monitors and how important they are. I don’t fancy those high-tech gadgets and like to rely on my experience and my endurance when I run. Are those monitors really necessary. I can’t imagine why. Do you think that I should get one? Thanks for your suggestions.

Well, to be honest I like high tech equipment. I enjoy reading or hearing about new breakthroughs in science. However, when it comes to heart rate monitor, the opinions are divided. It can be handy if you want to pay attention and keep your pulse into the strict zone. This is important for people with heart conditions who still like to exercise and have to pay strict attention not to exceed the prescribed hear rate limit. Also people who want to train specific workouts that demand keeping your heart rate between two figures can benefit from having such device. Others may find this gadget unnecessary. It is really up to you.

Heart rate monitors are an essential part of my training, as well as many others. HRMs allow you to monitor the effort you are putting into your training, helping you to pace yourself and train effectively. It helps to prevent you from over training or under training as well. Sure, a seasoned veteran will be able to judge that stuff pretty well without a gadget, but a HRM allows you to do it scientifically. Many also allow you to download the training data to a computer for later analysis

I hear where you're coming from - i mean if you've been running great for years without a heart rate monitor, why should you start now? But a heart rate monitor is more than just something to tell you if you re panting hard. Monitoring your heart rate can prevent you from training before you ve recovered sufficiently from previous training sessions or illness, and it can help to pace yourself more accurately during a race. Most heart rate monitors today come with altimeters, and some even GPS so you can track your route distance and ascent accurately. All of these things help you to train more scientifically.

If you re looking for a beginner s heart rate monitor, have a look at the Garmin Forerunner 50 or the Polar FT40. If you re looking for something with GPS, have a look at the Garmin Forerunner 305 or Forerunner 405. All are great heart rate monitors.